Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HD and HR Holdens

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
The first thread in this section, hooray!

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Tell me about these cars, according to wiki they didn't come with V8's, and they were exported to South Africa, what other countries were these exported to?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The HR I believe was designed to have a V8 fitted but never went ahead.

HD's with their pointy front guards and pointy rear guards were commonly called cheese cutters.

HD wasn't real popular.....HR was, so you tend to find HR's more than HD's

Not sure where they were exported to...

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The HR I believe was designed to have a V8 fitted but never went ahead.

HD's with their pointy front guards and pointy rear guards were commonly called cheese cutters.

HD wasn't real popular.....HR was, so you tend to find HR's more than HD's

Not sure where they were exported to...

AKA: Kidney Cutters

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The HR and HD were a bit of a design flop. IIRC they both share the same track, as the EH but the HR was wider in the body and back then they didn't handle as well as their predecessors.

58Wayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Sedan
6" Wide steel radials, 6 leaf rear springs with a 5/8" Pedders rear sway bar, GT130 shockies all around and V8 SLR front coils (with 1 complete coil cut off each) fixed the handling problem. Loved both my EH and HR. Search the net and you will find pics of 2 door HR's that never went past the prototype unfortunately. They were made LHD for export to Asian countries. Also CKD (knock down) to most of those Asian countries, NZ, CKD to Africa, Hawaii. The FB EK were about the worst at handling and the brakes were pathetic on all models until front discs were introduced on the HD premier. Drums were still standard on all but were much improved right up until the HG but discs could be ordered from the factory.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Interesting to know... I thought to make a worthwhile thread in this section as I was surprised that this section was completely blank!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
my first car was a HD and my second a HR, I still own the HR (need to get her back up and running) Here's a photo of it in it's glory days.

1664243796564.png

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
6" Wide steel radials, 6 leaf rear springs with a 5/8" Pedders rear sway bar, GT130 shockies all around and V8 SLR front coils (with 1 complete coil cut off each) fixed the handling problem. Loved both my EH and HR. Search the net and you will find pics of 2 door HR's that never went past the prototype unfortunately. They were made LHD for export to Asian countries. Also CKD (knock down) to most of those Asian countries, NZ, CKD to Africa, Hawaii. The FB EK were about the worst at handling and the brakes were pathetic on all models until front discs were introduced on the HD premier. Drums were still standard on all but were much improved right up until the HG but discs could be ordered from the factory.
.. GMH exported them to Thailand (LHD), Indoesia (LHD) Malaysia (RHD) and Singapore (RHD) amongst Asian countries and all the pics I have show fully complete vehicles (not in CKD form)

HDs with X2 engines were the first to have disk brakes an option (all HDs including Prems with 179 engines then followed). My first car was a HD 'Special' X2 manual with front disk brakes with added wide Torana rims (as pictured)

Capture.JPG

20201112_213220_HD.jpg
Torana 6" rims with Bridgie radials, 2 leafs removed from the rear (standard they were far too stiff and leapt around + no rear sway bar .. way too stiff) plus HK v8 front springs . The trick to get them to handle is stiffen the front and soften the rear suspension (or load the boot with 4 or 5 bags of concrete mix)

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
We had a 1966 HD Holden Sedan "Special" 3 speed on the column, well my grandparents did, and I learnt to drive in it in 1977 & 1978,
and it was sold by an a___hole relative, as I wanted to keep it, that was when I was 23,
Just out of interest, is there any way to see if it still on the road ?
I know the Rego, but not the Manufacture number (aka VIN)
When I check the Rego, it comes up with "Record Not Found"
Surely, they would have records of all the cars built.

Last edited: