Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Green VS Maloo

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I'm quite happy wiht the 4503 as a good all rounder cam, even on stock compression it runs quite well, but anything extra you can throw at it is desirable.

I think the stock converter might be pushing it a bit though, the 4503 doesn't really come on song until 2500+RPM and also it's idle is a bit grumpy I reckon you'll have to be pretty heavy on the brake pedal at the lights.

Also if you take 30 thou off the heads you can get away with running 30 thou shims on the rocker pedestal (I think crane does them) which will fix up your geometry rather than buying new pushrods.

I'll probably go something with a 108 or 110 LSA for my next combo though.

I think having the 4502 now you probably won't see much gain in a 4503 on a stock engine to justify it unless your after it for the idle characteristics to be honest. The head skim will wake it up a lot more than the change from a 4502 to 4503 would.

The idle would be nice but I can live without ( and if it surprises = me/and people a bonus ).
Recon If I do ,I'll go the shims = also make more sense , not just cost but the differences = a little compression and Starr = how they perform.
Keep me happy along with I really do want to refresh exterior.
Seen what a great job you have done on yours but while I'd love to give it a go , I'm figuring/ budgeting someone else is painting mine.
It needs other stuff = want new shock springs.
Need =( well it's really me want better brakes ).

And then a little more down the track a nice 355 streeter.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Heres a video I took recently of the 4503 idle characteristics if it helps influence your decision.

To be honest thats what sold me on the cam over the 4502 and my old Crane 276. I'm a sucker for some old school lopey notes.

The 113LSA keeps it reasonably tame in terms of choppyness, hence my desire to push for a 110LSA or lower for my next cam, which will also be more torquey down low which is where I'm using the engine most of the time rather than mid to top end power.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used it a few times in the last month but that's all that has happened to it , including last Sunday = out to lunch.
Maloo got some too = a tank of 98 before it jumps 25 or so cents.

Being keeping an eye out for some heads but not much around. Not quite sure what should be paying ATM.
Some look ordinary = rust in combustion chamber and until you see 1st hand = which doesn't help if soo far away need posting or waste a day travelling !!!
Got a Repco second hand compression tester kit coming ( I don't have ) , might even turn up tomorrow = 1st day in the delivery window.
See if it's even worth throwing compression and such at !!

A little over 2 weeks ago on Facebook Injected5ltr group site someone had posted this .
I'd had a couple of beers and it's sooo easy to just go click click click and ordered and on the way .
More memorabilia arrived today , the postage was almost as much as the item !!!!
Well packaged ( never going to break ) , from StickThis if interested !!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
PM EYY, he might have a set of heads. I got a TB off him once. I think he might have spares at home.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ooohhh must admit really do like engine side of that cup!!!

Looks even better without my half dodgy part out of focus photo.
I should of got 2 , one for display and one to use.

The missus is on the phone to her daughter and bagging me out for getting as I type this .
I'm just gonna keep looking at the cup and go I'm happy ( water off a ducks back ) !!!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I'd buy a few cups if engine was on both sides.

But would be cool as fark if engine on one had covers on wrong with gap at front to annoy tragics like me haha

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Maloo's going to have a heart attack = used two Sundays in a row !!!
Used to go to lunch and then get some clear bistro style blinds for one end of my deck.
And it'll get used again in the next couple of weeks to get some angle so I can create some structure for the blinds to attach to.

Well I missed this last Sunday and only noticed when I was getting it out today.

It's in the 200,000 km club now !!!! Only taken 26 years 4.5 months.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's funny with cafe blinds, you never seem to have the correct post gap to fit the Bunnings or Mitre 10 ones.