Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gen F clubsport vs VF series 2 ssv Redline?

Bardygrub

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ba fairlane
Hi All,

I have been sold on a VF 2 ssv redline since release with w375 and a mild cam. But now due to the price drop on gen f's am know thinking about the clubsport, and was wondering what you all thought ?

Cheers

Last edited:

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Clubby in a heartbeat.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ If new vs used; looking after it properly from Day One is worth something.

If this is about new Gen F's that're still available in dealers; non R8's are missing some stuff you might want, do they even have HUD?

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Clubby.
Inside and outside they are a nicer package plus you will get better resale for a stock clubby than a modded Redline.
You never get the value of mods back.

But then again, I am an older guy and resale is important to me. Younger guys seem to care less.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I have also thought about this, I wouldn't look at a base Clubby just because of the missing HUD, it is by far the best feature in a new Holden product.
I also think about replacing tyres, 20" on HSV verses 19" on the Holden, the price of replacement rotors for AP's V's the slightly smaller Brembo's. Insurance cost is another factor.
I have pretty much sold myself on the SSV-R. I think the fact it has the 6.2 LS3 is pretty special, even though they have been in the HSV for near on 10 years...last of the Commodore V8's and all that.

Bardygrub

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ba fairlane
Thanks guys,
I'm thinking the clubbie R8 SV as it has a few more features over the redline like, the driver preference dial a few more mod cons and most importantly IMO the back of the gen f's, the way the middle part goes to the bottom of the car + the 25 th anniversary with the full black out kit in heron white still look the goods.

I would still like to add the w375 to the clubbie "for added growl".

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
LSA R8 or just get a Redline.

Ps - you do realize that adding the w375 pack will void your GM drivetrain warranty (for many circumstances) and your car will no longer be epa compliant don't you?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Sorry Reaper, I don't know if I agree ... there are going to be some good deals on Gen-F R8's now, especially given that the last of them are now "a year old" as well as being "last year's model" as well as "a generation old". Unlike the base Clubbie they've got all the features you want from the Redline, except with quite a few things being better (even stuff you use every single day, like seats). They've even got about 20 more killerwotts standard.
I can give or take some of the HSV stuff (eg. having taken away my 'phone pocket to put some gauges I can't see the point of - how can you spend time looking down so low if you're concentrating on a track?!), but if you get one down to a similar price to a Redline I reckon it's a decent deal.

Only downside is they've all already been built, so no colour choices.

I don't know about what others are saying about resale, though. I think a Gen-F will have resale problems in future, due to not being LSA; unless it's a GTS, which will have resale problems due to just being too expensive in the first place for a Holden. But again - it's not likely to be worse than a new Redline, not if bought at the same-ish price.

Bardygrub

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ba fairlane
LSA R8 or just get a Redline.

Ps - you do realize that adding the w375 pack will void your GM drivetrain warranty (for many circumstances) and your car will no longer be epa compliant don't you?
Walkinshaw,harrop and Tekno all offer up to 3 year drivetrain warranty or what is ever left on holdens manufacture warranty. And in regards to epa....with any of the upgrades you can still get it registered and insured. So what's the issue with epa?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Walkinshaw,harrop and Tekno all offer up to 3 year drivetrain warranty or what is ever left on holdens manufacture warranty. And in regards to epa....with any of the upgrades you can still get it registered and insured. So what's the issue with epa?

None of those are the Holden warranty. The problem is in the grey area - what do you do when WPS/whoever says it's not them, it's a Holden issue and Holden decline because it's modified? You end up stuck in the middle with a fked car.

Secondly, if the car ever gets sent to be epa tested then it will fail, simple as that. Ref item 7 here just for starters: http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/~/media/Publications/1031 3.pdf. The question to ask is if the modified ecu has been tested to comply with the appropriate ADR's and will a certificate be supplied confirming said tests after the works are carried out? Last time I asked that question the answer was "no" from WPS.

Also refer to item 11 - it's virtually impossible to alter exhaust and intake systems these days without contravening noise levels as the cars are pushing the limits OE.

Tbh I don't give a flying fk if you do it or not however at least educate yourself what you are getting and the repercussions if it is ever checked.