Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Full Rebuild Help

M

mandee

i'm only learning how to be a mechanic, but i've got a vk commodore at home it's got a black engine and everythings gone wrong. theres a million oil leaks and when i start it (although all the problems it still starts first time. bless it) it blows out heaps of smoke from the engine and the exhaust colour is a yuck dark greyie light purple.
i want to know what is wrong with it properly before i start pulling it apart.

thanks
Mandee

G

Grantis1976

Mate, there's only one way to say this...rings! If your puff'n purple / blue, its oil.

If your able to take it off the road for a few weeks, do it asap !

Your oil leaks are standard - a VK is around 18 - 23 yrs old, keep this in mind when getting the shits with it!

ALL the parts you need for a rebuild are available at Supercheap ! From gaskets, to goo, to rings, to degreaser.

Good Luck !!!

G

Grantis1976

No worries, the other option would be somewhere like Repco or autobarn.

My other thought was to get ahold of a replacment engine, rebuild it, then swap it for the current one. That way your only off the road for a day !

Good Luck !!!

M

mandee

i have noticed to that the gearbox is a bit worn, i went out and picked up a second-hand one (3 speed auto trimatic) and i want to know how to take the gear stick off.

if anyone can help, many thanks to ya's

G

Grantis1976

I'm asuming you mean just the T-bar part of the shifter. To be honest, this is one thing I've only ever had to do once in a early commie, and it was with help from a wreakers - treat these guys as gods, they do this **** every day, and know all the tricks! They told me that some were located with a screw that sits between the main 't' and the section that lifts, some others are just a matter of lift the shifter, asthough your changing gears, and twist! Just like a Manual! Do this in 'Park', as its easier to locate things from there later on !

Good Luck !!!

M

mandee

to get the gearbox out do u have to take it out with the engine or can u take it out on it own? i have a sky hook and block and tackle due to my bad back, so is there anyway i could do that.

and also if i can pull the engine out without the gearbox do i have to watch out for any fluid? due to pass experiences i just want to make sure.

(sorry if it seems like i'm hanging to much **** on ya's)

Mandee

seventh path

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VL RB30 Berlina
you can get the gearbox out without taking the engine out......first you have to drain the transmission fluid(to do it on the vl's you take the gearbox sump off....hopefully it's the same on the trimatic!!)then take the tailshaft out. once you have done this, disconnect the exhust from the manifold. put a jack under the rear of the gearbox and undo the gearbox crossmember and let the jack down slowly(i found it a lot easier to get to the top blots on the gearbox and to remove and refit the gearbox)cause the gearbox will move down and the engine will move back to the firewall....let the engine sit on the firewall and start removing the bolts(make sure you have the jack supporting it a little....you don't want it falling on you)when you have undone all the bolts then slide the gearbox backwards with someone supporting the front of the box so it doesn't fall down....and thats it!!!...when you put the corque converter into the new gearbox....make sure it goes ALL the way in....i think it geas back into the bellhousing 3 times....hope that helps you

G

Grantis1976

Well, you dont know if you dont ask !

Having a skyhook and endless chain will be of help for the motor, but the auto is much easier to remove from underneath - minus the motor.
If you do choose to remove the whole shabang in one hit, becarful with the fluids.
Remove the bonnet, very first thing, as this allows you room to move around the bay, and get to the shitty bits easier! You will have to plug up the trannie with a plug of some styl, to prevent oils flowwing from where your tailshaft was.

Only one other option, take your pride and joy to your favorite wreakers, and get them to do a swap for you! They do this **** for a living, they have access to a mountain of parts, and they keep your current running gear as part payment.!

Good Luck !!!