Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flat v Roller Cams not what you may think.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hi all, over the years I've stated to people not to get too worried about switching to roller cams on early 5l commodores (and 253), well I have a video here to describe in more detail about this.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
images.jpeg-28.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hi all, over the years I've stated to people not to get too worried about switching to roller cams on early 5l commodores (and 253), well I have a video here to describe in more detail about this.

Yes, I saw this video (or a similar by vizard) probably a year ago.
It offers some good thought doesn't it.
And thinking about how the base of the lifter reacts with the can lobe is something I hadn't considered before he mentioned/described it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Very clever man David Vizard. This a new video but Vizard covered a lot of this in an earlier video on a different channel. Vizard has health issues so it seems he's putting out a lot of info as I think he knows his time is short.

For those playing along, the old GRP A motors used the larger .904 diameter lifter (Chrysler I believe) for the very reason of running more aggressive cam profiles (stock lifter is .842").

Vizard does say the cross-over point is about 275° advertised duration so if talking about Holden cam specs we are talking about cams we commonly know as the good ol' Crane 276 (280° advertised) which in reality isn't a very big cam.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Vizard has health issues so it seems he's putting out a lot of info as I think he knows his time is short.
I was wondering why he was putting so much gold up on the internet. Shame, he seems like a bit of a character. The story he told of feeding bullshit information to his competitors via the scrutineers had me chuckling. I only came across him for the first time yesterday and have been slowly making my way through all his videos. Very informative.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've had a few of his books for over 20 years. In some of his videos earlier this year he mentions brain surgery and having trouble organizing his thoughts. The man is a genius and tell some great stories but his video's can be a bit disjointed.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I've got a few of his books. Even got one signed by him once.

I appreciate how I asked a question expecting a straight number as an answer and he replied with a true statement, which really left me with something to think about and ponder on that subject.
Very smart man and a good teacher of his knowledge (well, teaches in a way that I pick it up well).

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
He is re-releasing a lot of videos because his editor Marvin Bourke died.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
He is re-releasing a lot of videos because his editor Marvin Bourke died.
Yeah, I saw he mentioned that sad news a month or so back.
I'm not sure why he needs to re-release though, unless he had more to add, or a different way to explain, or the new edit is easier to absorb.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yeah, I saw he mentioned that sad news a month or so back.
I'm not sure why he needs to re-release though, unless he had more to add, or a different way to explain, or the new edit is easier to absorb.
I'm guessing Marvin was the account holder and YT won't allow dead people to own accounts.