Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First Project

HZ.304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute V6
Hi All,

New to the forum and very new to working on cars by myself but keen to get in and have a crack.
I'm after some help with my project, which is a HZ ute with a VN - VS 304 in it, auto (turbo 700) and ford 9".
Purchased with all this as a running but not registered ute and just needed some body work.

Long story short, drove it out of the shed to do some body work started fine but after a 50 meter drive to the top shed it stopped. Thought it ran out of fuel, put 20ltrs in and it was then full to the cap so wasn't that. Turned over but wouldn't fire. Left it for 3 or 4 hours while I did what I planned to do, turned key away it went, put it back away and that's the last time it started. Now it just turns over and won't start, no spark from what I can tell.
Few hours of googling I came across a thread on here that pointed me in the direction of the ignition module, sent mine away got a replacement one from Ebay seller Nuclear powered modules.
Also got fresh spark plugs and a replacement coil as that was another suggestion to change when getting a new module as a stuffed coil could damage a new module.
Hope these fix the starting issue.

So after that spiel, it is a Goss coil (see attached photo), the plug is different to the old one which I knew when I purchased it but what I wasn't think about is the different thickness of the old loom wires compared to the new wires off the new coil plug.
My questions are, would you recommend to just strip and solder the new wires to the old and heat shrink over the top to protect or should I solder or crimp plugs to wires and make the connection that way?
The other question I think I know the answer but want to be sure is, the brown wire from old loom and coil goes to negative on coil so the black wire on new coil plug will go to this? and then red wire to red wire (might be pink, faded hard to tell), I've attached photo of the old coil before I unplugged for reference as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240221-100258_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240221-100258_Chrome.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 37
  • old coil 1.jpg
    old coil 1.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 37

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Just connect the wires together.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Coil on left is vt type...if it cracks/breaks be you need another one the same....

Better off having common type on right then can borrow or swap over another coil easier.

Or just add extra male & female plugs on each for easy swap over with sub harness move coil where can acess it easily...will need longer coil lead.

Does new coil new different end for lead to dissy cap?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Get another coil.

The main power wire from the loom is 3 times as thick as the wire supplied with the coil....Then add in the wire from the dizzy to the coil being slightly thicker, you're going to get voltage drop..

I know this because I got the same coil recently for my VC and gave it back.....The original style round coils are still available, so you're not stripping wires, joining etc etc...Straight plug and play

HZ.304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute V6
Coil on left is vt type...if it cracks/breaks be you need another one the same....

Better off having common type on right then can borrow or swap over another coil easier.

Or just add extra male & female plugs on each for easy swap over with sub harness move coil where can acess it easily...will need longer coil lead.

Does new coil new different end for lead to dissy cap?
Cheers, I will go back and see if I can get the older style. Guy at parts store just said might as well have the newer tech.

HZ.304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute V6
Get another coil.

The main power wire from the loom is 3 times as thick as the wire supplied with the coil....Then add in the wire from the dizzy to the coil being slightly thicker, you're going to get voltage drop..

I know this because I got the same coil recently for my VC and gave it back.....The original style round coils are still available, so you're not stripping wires, joining etc etc...Straight plug and play
Cheers, I'll see if I can get the older style.