Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan Resistor?

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I have been reading about fan resistor removal procedures and I was wondering what do you gain by doing this? Do the VN Commodores have such as thing or only VR upwards.

Cheers,
Jim

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
If you are talking about the interior fan's fan speed resistor there is nothing to gain other than to replace it if you loose fan speed 1,2,or 3 or a combination of the three. The only other reason you would remove it is to inspect the evaporator for leaks. Other than that there is no reason (except to pull the evap/heater box out).

Yes all cars have some form of a fan speed resistor (if standard a/c or no a/c) or fan speed amplifier (if climate controlled). The VN is in the same place as the vr/s'.

Regards Guy.

p.s. if you did not mean that resistor then disregard this whole post.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
That's what I was after. So I hate to drag this on, I thought if you had to replace heater box, evap out you had to pull the whole dash board out to do this. My car has not got climate control so that means I shouldn't have a resistor?

Cheers,
Jim

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Sorry just read my reply and have now edited it to clarify what I meant...sorry to run you astray!!!

You WILL have a fan speed resistor. The climate control vehicles have an electronic one called an Amplifier. If you have a standard air con system or no a/c at all you will have a fan speed resistor.

And yes, if you have to pull the heater/evaporator box out then the whole dash has to be at least pulled out and lifted over to the seats leaving the wiring connected on the drivers side as much as possible. This is the same from the VN to the VT and I'm sure the newer ones would be the same but I'm yet to get my hands on one. You can remove it without pulling the fan speed resistor out but you still have to get to the fan speed resistor to remove the wiring from it, and its just as easy to remove it whilst your there.

Look under the How-to section where I have a part on removing the fan speed resistor.

Regards Guy.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Thanks dude, that's made it a bit clearer for me now.

Cheers,
Jim

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Cheers mate.....

But now you've got me interested into finding out what your up to !!!!!!!

Regards Guy.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Just that my Mum's VN the fan speeds for 2,3 don't work. We are assuming that the different speed windings in the motor itself might be buggered. But if a fautly resistor can cause it be better then pulling the whole dash board out.

Cheers,
Jim

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
The blower fan only has one winding....flat out. The way they make it have the four speeds is to put a resistance of varible settings to reduce the fan speed...thus the fan speed resistor. (there are some trucks etc that have multi windings but yet to see one in a late model car!!).

Just a note if it has lost all, any, or some of the fan speeds (but not high) then it will be either the fan speed resistor or, not so likely on the later commodores, the fan speed switch.

If only the high fan speed does not work it will be either a relay, fuse or possibly the fan speed switch.....NOT the fan speed resistor.

If ALL of the speeds have gone it can be a fuse, relay, the fan switch or the fan motor itself.

Pull the fan speed resistor out, see if one of the 3 resistance windings are brocken (will be the middle one) and if so replace it with a new one from Holden, about $35.00.

Regards Guy.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Thanks, I will have a look when I get a chance.

Cheers,
Jim