Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] Engineers Certificate for my 95 VR

HÝPÕ-5L

Reaction score
Website
profile.myspace.com
Members Ride
Blown V8 94 VR Manual Ute
Hey all,

On Monday I took my VR Ute in to get it rego'ed only to get told it needs a Engineers Certificate because of the engine that's it it.

Now the engine is a 308 block from a HZ with the prefix "QT", still running all the injection as its got C.O.M.E Racing Twin Throttles.

As us Holden fans know it wouldn't require any modifying to any part of the car in order for the engine to fit, it bolted up exactly the same as a 304 Block with the prefix "VU"

What im wanting to know is what difference exactly between a 308 block from a HZ and a 304 block from a VR and by having a HZ block in a VR why would it need a engineers to get rego?

It met all the emissions on the roady as it was ticked.

The guy at VicRoads was looking at the K-Frame at the engine mounts, and turned around and told me it looked modified, I told him How its the Orig K-frame from the VR as the Ute is Originally a V8

I will get a pic of what he was talking about so you can all see what it thinks was modified.

But seriously can someone help me out with some info on this as its sending me crazy as I can not find any diff between the 304 block and a 308 block.

Cheers Scotty

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
block is the same. save for extra webbing around the crank journels and water pump. they did a bit of reinforcing. you shouldnt need an engineers, just a change of engine number.

cos the QT is turbo, yeah everything is the same as a 304. vicroads guy is being a twat. just ring up vicroads, inform of an engine number change and you should be alright next time you go.

HÝPÕ-5L

Reaction score
Website
profile.myspace.com
Members Ride
So here is the pic, the guy at vicroads told me because of the little balls from it being welded, near the engine mount to him it looked modified and them "little" balls shouldn't be there, that was one reason........ the other was coz of the block being out of such an older car and put into a later car, ****ing stupid if you ask me when its the same ****ing block pretty much.

Welding.jpg

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Can't comment on the K-frame but it's common knowledge they won't pass it when an earlier engine is used.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
K frame looks original to me. However, with the older engine number you will really struggle to get it registered. Although, for all intents and purposes it's now the same as any other injected 5 litre, the engine number still says it's an HZ engine unfortunately.

The legitimate and proper way to get around it is to replace the block with a VR block. Even with an engineers, i still think you will have trouble getting it registered with that engine number.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
all my factory k frames i had have spatter on them including the last v8 one i had and the rb30 i got now personally take it to another vicroads where they arent dicks that think they know everything

HÝPÕ-5L

Reaction score
Website
profile.myspace.com
Members Ride
So did abit of searching and found this on the VicRoads Site.

Notifying VicRoads of changes & modifications : VicRoads

Change of engine
1. Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle
The optional engine must be offered in Australia by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle (or certified variants). The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model, and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine have been completed.

You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have the vehicle's engine inspected to confirm the new engine details. No appointment is required. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form.

2. Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle or where alterations, or changes to the vehicle's frame or structure are made, and/or specially fabricated supports or structures are used
You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre for an inspection of the vehicle to confirm the new engine details. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form and provide VicRoads with:

a VASS Approval Certificate from a VicRoads Vehicle Assessment Signatory
an original receipt for the purchase of the engine as proof of ownership of the engine

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
It's not just the block that will be the issue it will be all the emissions bs as well. That's the main reason older motors aren't allowed.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The engine mounting is a non issue. Maybe the guy was having a bad day?

You might want to look at:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/ro.../pdf/NCOP3_Section_LA_Engine_01jan2011_v3.pdf

and

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/ro...12_Section_LT_Test_Procedures_1Jan2011_v2.pdf

as well as the VicRoads VSI 8 (there's a bit more in section 11).

The way I read all that is that as long as the engine, as it's installed, passes the IM240 test it's OK.

Also, you would still have to run the IM240 even if you had fitted every OEM internal and external VR V8 part to the earlier block due to the way the legislation is worded, whereas an otherwise identical block recorded as meeting ADR 37/00, provided it wasn't obviously altered from OEM, would just need to be "rubber stamped".

Because you are using the COME manifold, the IM240 has to be done anyway.

vq rat

vq rat
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn bt1 burnout weapon
Good to see you have the up to date vsi's, I do roadworthy's and i would not pass a come manifold or any after make one at the end of the day any mod to your car is unroadwerthy in vic roads eyes, the car was only adr approved from the factory the way it come from there, you can spend a sh*t load and get the car approved but a lot of stuffing around