Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine swaps

Locl67vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore l67
So my vy l67 was hit yesterday afternoon at the front of mine. Basically old mate paid me off and I get to keep the old girl. Total write off by the way.

So I'm wondering should I put my engine and box into a vn-vs sedan. There's a clean vr past Sydney with august rego and it still kind of drives plus its cheap.

I just need to find out a few things before I buy it.

1. Does everything bolt up.
2. Can I use my old loom and ecu to run it.
3.would it be easier using an aftermarket ecu than using the old loom and ecu.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
So my vy l67 was hit yesterday afternoon at the front of mine. Basically old mate paid me off and I get to keep the old girl. Total write off by the way.

So I'm wondering should I put my engine and box into a vn-vs sedan. There's a clean vr past Sydney with august rego and it still kind of drives plus its cheap.

I just need to find out a few things before I buy it.

1. Does everything bolt up.
2. Can I use my old loom and ecu to run it.
3.would it be easier using an aftermarket ecu than using the old loom and ecu.
Get a Vs with ecotec if you’re wanting an easy/cheap/legal conversion.

Locl67vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore l67
Get a Vs with ecotec if you’re wanting an easy/cheap/legal conversion.
There's a 5spd vs for sale near me as well 6 months rego for $3.5k. Would I just need to extend some wires and put my memcal in?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
There's a 5spd vs for sale near me as well 6 months rego for $3.5k. Would I just need to extend some wires and put my memcal in?
The l67 VS never came as a 5 speed so you’ll have to spend some more money on the tune. If it’s a getrag equipped vs (s2), don’t bother, just find an auto model.

If it’s a t5 model, itll be much nicer to drive and will better handle the power but you’ll still have issues with the tune/computer side of things.

Basically, the viable option is to go ecotec auto. Otherwise you’ll spend plenty of time and money on the conversion, but it can be done.