Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Doubling a sway bar? (Adventra)

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
Put the correct size tyres back on and see if the problem goes away.

No point. It was doing it before I upped the tyre size.
It got worse after I increased tyre size, until I increased tyre pressure.

try_again

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6 and VF SS Storm Sportwagon
No point. It was doing it before I upped the tyre size.
It got worse after I increased tyre size, until I increased tyre pressure.

I have same King Springs as you, my Adventra doesn't do what yours does - something must be wrong, consider parts that may have failed or are not working properly before you start modifying things.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I had king springs on my VR4 and found they were quite soft compared to the standard items, different car, but are you sure this isn't the issue?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
As the Adventra is a ‘soft off roader’ I would think that wheel articulation side to side would be part of its suspension design criteria......hence a less rigid sway bar to allow this, otherwise it may lift a wheel, and, as you say, then all sorts of electronic gizmos are called upon.
Then add the weight, ground clearance, and centre of gravity, and the Adventra is not really the type of vehicle to carve up a twisty road with no body roll, just like any other SUV.
Possibly, you are asking a bit too much of it.

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
As the Adventra is a ‘soft off roader’ I would think that wheel articulation side to side would be part of its suspension design criteria......hence a less rigid sway bar to allow this, otherwise it may lift a wheel, and, as you say, then all sorts of electronic gizmos are called upon.
Then add the weight, ground clearance, and centre of gravity, and the Adventra is not really the type of vehicle to carve up a twisty road with no body roll, just like any other SUV.
Possibly, you are asking a bit too much of it.

I think you may have a point.
Perhaps stiffening it would not be a good thing.

I'm still puzzled that some others who claim to have the identical setup with raised springs & larger tyres are not having my problem.
Maybe more investigation...

Of course, I could always go back to plan A, which was moving the yaw sensor a bit. (Holden engineers have conniptions at this point).

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Have you had a ride in another Adventra to compare? My VE kicks in the traction control very early too, but generally only when going down steep hills bending to the left!
Could it be due to a difference in tyre sizes or even %wear from front to back or left to right ? That type of thing adds to the error and the computer thinks your sliding out of control when you're not...

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
Oh, it's definitely due to the raised springs + bigger tyres to some extent, though others with the exact same setup report no ESP panics.

It's due for a service in the next week or so. I'll get them to clean the ABS sensors while they're at it.
If still no good, I'll try moving the yaw sensor backwards a little bit & see what that does.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Old Thread, 7+ years old,
but
For the interest and benefit of other members.

I installed Raised Height Heavy Duty Kings springs (KHRR-65) in the back of my 2006 Adventra CX6, Raised it 40mm.
And never had any ESP issues,
as I have travelled on a number of Dirt Roads, Bitumen Roads in the High Country, Central West Victoria, Daylesford/Macedon, Mornington Peninsula area's.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The cross8 front sway bar is nice and thick. Straight swap with standard Adventra sway bar. You’ll need new swaybar bushes. Would be handy if I could remember the size though.

I’ll be back…