Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do I have extractors?

Suicidul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore Ute
Yes. I realise it's a noob question. I don't want to look like a retard taking it to the exhaust shop and asking haha. Basically I want to get a bit more noise from my vy v6. The exhaust itself isn't too bad once opened up but idling or normal driving is quiet. I've looked at the extractors and they are a light blue and have a fair bit of surface rust. Are they the factory headers or aftermarket? Is there anything I can do to make it a bit louder without losing the lovely burble it has on downshift? Thanks and don't hate because I'm dumb haha.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
They would be aftermarket , if you want it a bit louder , go for a cat back exhaust , that will replace the existing exhaust with a bigger one from 2.25 inch to a 2.5 inch system , hope this helps .

Suicidul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore Ute
It currently does have a catback. It would have to be bigger than 2.25 as it's pretty noisy when opened up. I'd say it would have to be a 2.5 currently and I don't really want 3 inch as I can't imagine the drone.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
That being the case , I would leave it as it is , a 3 inch may have to much drone as you say , you could always if you haven't already , put on a bigger CAI , that would help the car breath better as well , and can improve the tone .

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
I would guess it still has the resonator on the back of the exhaust system, so it would look like it has a cat and 2 mufflers one in the middle and one near your diff if you want more noise get the one near your diff removed and replaced with straight through pipe.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I would guess it still has the resonator on the back of the exhaust system, so it would look like it has a cat and 2 mufflers one in the middle and one near your diff if you want more noise get the one near your diff removed and replaced with straight through pipe.

And increase the drone, and sound like crap.

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
And increase the drone, and sound like crap.

if he already has a 2.5inch exhaust system and extractors and is looking for more noise what would you suggest?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Nothing.....Coz it'll sound like crap.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
if he already has a 2.5inch exhaust system and extractors and is looking for more noise what would you suggest?

a V8, everything else will just bit super mang drone city.