Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY: ECU Scantools/Data Cables

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
I'm a learner with the soldering iron, but i like the idea of many models in one circuit. I have not got wiring diagrams from VT or later Holdens, are they the same ALDL connector as the VR/VS? - Thanks for the reply.

Yep, the same plug and circuit will work for all of the above models.

Mike

breast69au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
hey michaelw, do you make and sell these cables at all???? If so how much???

CDS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 3.8 series 2
sorry new to this, bought obd2 to db9 diagnostic cable thinking my 1999vt series 2 v6 would be running this protocol. do i need to make/buy an interface to connect to laptop/pda can i use/mod mikes if so. should i use EFIlive4 or winaldl. all help greatlly appreciated thanks.

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Sorry I don't quite follow you. Please ask if I haven't made myself clear.
1)The VT will not run OBDII it has a OBDII shapped plug but the protocol is different. That said if you have a ALDL cable with a circuit based on an old design your cable will not work.

2)When you are talking about connceting it to a laptop do you mean you want to run USB?

3) Can you post a link to what you have bought?

Mike

CDS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 3.8 series 2
sorry mike for not replyin sooner the link if still avaliable is on ebay item # 170084813949 i dont have a laptop yet was thinking of something cheap so serial or usb at this stage prob to suit pentium 3 all help greatly appreciated

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
The cable you bought is no good. It is just a bunch of wires with no electronics, also the correct pins for the V6 are not even attached.

Mike

CDS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 3.8 series 2
Ok I have done the work for you :) Here is all the info you need to make your very own ALDL link. I have done it, and it works on my VX II commodore.

Attatched are the schematic, part layout, and PDF for making a PCB for your link.

There are three options for powering this circuit

Option 1 on the car side use Ground Data and 12v // on the PC side use pins 2, 3, and 5

Option 2 ointhe car side use ground and Data/// use a 9V battery on the power in pins /// use pins 2,3,and 5 on the PC side.

Here is a link to download an ALDL tester to test youe citcuit BEFORE you hook it up to your car!!!
http://www.ttspowersystems.com/software/dm350/ALDL_TEST/setup-ALDL.exe

Here is a link to the circuit that I used.. It seems to be the best.
http://students.fct.unl.pt/users/lat12089/dsm_link_cable.htm

Note you have to conect pins 1,4,6 and 7,8 at the serial port plug.

Here is a link to the serial plug pinout:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/dsl_prod/6700/iad1101/cable.htm
You have a DB 9 on the back of you PC.

I used EFIlive 4:
http://68.178.219.18/software/EFILiveV465_305_Eval.exe

Have fun

Mike

View attachment 23463

View attachment 23464

View attachment 23465

View attachment 23466

Mike cant i make and use this circuit and rewire the plugs to suit or are u saying the obd2 plug is missing the pins to wire up to this circuit and therfore i need to source a new unused obd2 and db9 plug or is this circuit totally unsuitable sorry if this is starting to bother you chris

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
You should be able to make it up if you pull your cable apart, all the pins required should be there, but they just wont be connected correctly. But it wont be easy unless you are confident with soldering, have access to a soldering iron, you know what the different electronic parts are, resistors, capacitors etc and how to read what values they are (although there is plenty of help on this on the net if you are willing to learn). You will have to make it up on a prototype board, which can get a bit messy and means you can easily make a mistake just by forgetting to join one wire etc, unless you are willing to make a board up, which is another set of skills again.

Honestly mate, save yourself the hassle, if you want to connect your car to a computer just get a cable of michaelw. He has put a heap of work into it, it is an excellent product, and it does it for a very reasonable price considering all the work he has gone to.

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Mike cant i make and use this circuit and rewire the plugs to suit or are u saying the obd2 plug is missing the pins to wire up to this circuit and therfore i need to source a new unused obd2 and db9 plug or is this circuit totally unsuitable sorry if this is starting to bother you chris

Use the circuit I posted at the start of this thread. Don't bother with your OBD->DB9 cable, in order to use it you will have to hack through moulded plastic to get to a pin which might not be there. If you want to DIY (and I encourage people giving it a go) I can source you a plug for about $10 that includes postage.

If there is enough interest I can make you some circuit boards as well.

Mike

Degeko

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Calais 5.0L, MY12 VE SV6
yeah im interested in a cable! will i be able to re-map the engine/trans ECU in my 2002 VY with this cable and efilive? or it just a diagnostic tool?