Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] difference between vs lg2 engine and vx ln3 engine

katjam68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx wagon
recently bought a vx wagon with a LN3 engine , due to blocked radiator it seems to of blown at least one head but not sure what other damage has been done , ...... now i have a vs with the lg2 engine in awesome condition , does anyone know the difference between the 2 engines , and if i swap all the parts from one set of block and heads on to the other would it work well , or not at all ..... funds are very limited at the moment , and i will rebuild the LN3 at a later date ,
appreciate any advice given ,

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
recently bought a vx wagon with a LN3 engine , due to blocked radiator it seems to of blown at least one head but not sure what other damage has been done , ...... now i have a vs with the lg2 engine in awesome condition , does anyone know the difference between the 2 engines , and if i swap all the parts from one set of block and heads on to the other would it work well , or not at all ..... funds are very limited at the moment , and i will rebuild the LN3 at a later date ,
appreciate any advice given ,

The VS and VX are very much the same with motor, the core block, heads, crank etc are the same.
But as Holden made thousands of these engines, the castings gradually got worse as the years went by - there is some rough castings around the rocker pedestals that can be a problem with high ratio rockers where the pushrods run alot closer to the head and may foul on them. Your VX heads may be like this.

The Manifolds are slightly different, the early VS has a extra temp sensor and didn't have smog control also the PCV feed towards the back of the plenum. The VX feeds into the middle closer to the throttlebody.

But the VS motor should go straight into your VX :spot on:

Taries

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
1479539_10151894775773041_790807149_n.jpg

The spec plate states the red car a VT engine is a LN3
Whilst the car beside it a VS ute spec plate states its a LG2??

92VPLVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Holden VP Executive
Just got a series 1 custom grounded crow cam and thought my engine was a series 1 but instead of it being an LN3 it’s a LG2 will the cam still fit or if not is there ways around it?

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Just got a series 1 custom grounded crow cam and thought my engine was a series 1 but instead of it being an LN3 it’s a LG2 will the cam still fit or if not is there ways around it?
Doubt anyone is going to reply... This thread was made in 2012 and all of the members haven't logged on for at least a year...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
All ecotec motors are basically the same from VS to VY.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hmmm, not 100% sure what all the engine codes were used on the V6 motors in Commodores.

edit:
Just had a look at some old pics, our old VS V6 had engine code LG2 and so did my old brother in laws VP -BT1 V6

Reactions: Lex