Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DEX-COOL or not for L77

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
ok now i have to ask what mpower asked does your vehicle have just clear liquid in the radiator and you have been running it like that for the last 8 months?
Yes 100% clear

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
wait, what - you are running water only as a coolant?

dude, run coolant it has a higher boiling point and has rust inhibitors, etc in it.
Remember I had the car for 3 months and 3 weeks only. I notice this in the first week I bought the car.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
May be all this crap can be avoided by changing to Evans waterless coolant. Has any body tried this with LS3?
Is that CLEAR because my radiator NOW and the overflow is VERY VEEY VERY clean and Sparkling CLEAR water in it, shi.t I can drink it its so clear. Again the Caprice live all its life in Hot weather and even in Winter in Sunny Townsville QLD
Never used Evans coolant but give them a call and have a chat with them about how one can confirm whether it’s water in the system or their Evens coolant... or even contaminated Evens coolant...

At a guess, failing some test chemical, I’d think you could get two small cans and put 100ml of water in one and 100ml of coolant from your Caprice in the other, then heat them both on a outdoor gas stove (if you have one using two identical burners at identical gas levels). The water should be the first to boil strongly while the evens will not boil until some time later. Wouldn’t recomend this test on the kitchen stove top as I know nothing about the evens fluid or it’s food safety issues...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
i found the pics of my tap water filters when i did the last 6 month change, it is a mains(whole house) 1 micron triple filter system and here is an example of how much crap is in tap water with dirty and clean filters in the pics.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
Yuck, WA water without filters must taste odd.
What sort of stuff does your filter remove, just solid particles or certain minerals as well?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Right!
I got two mtrs of clear plastic tube and got a 1 ltr glass beaker container and I sucked up close to 1 ltr of fluid from the radiator and it did have a slight, very slight red tinge in it so it did have red coolant in it.
I have bought 12 ltrs (6 x 2) Nulon RED concentrate 3 weeks ago with another penrite 5w- 30 oil for 4 cars + Filter and more filters. I am very surprised there is no sludge under the radiator cap or under/inside the radiator itself with that low red coolant.
Yes taken a spoonful of coolant from the radiator it look clear even with two spoonful look clear but after I now removed 1 ltr now on a glass 1 ltr beaker and I can see slight red in the coolant.
Any how I have the Auto Service to do (Monday)on my VE Anniversary and have to do more work catching more water for our tank system from our house roof then after this I will do the Caprice and will flush it 3 times before adding coolant plus demineralised water

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Whats the best way to do this? Say the L77 engine on the Caprice is 11L of coolant and water and I know that half of this will be stuck in the engine block after rinsing it out 3 times with the demineralised water. Now to keep it 50/50 can i add 5.5L of concentrate coolant in the radiator Fill more if needed with water then go for a drive so it mixes altogether? Can you do it this way? Because it will be very hard to do it any other way and keep it 50/50 not 40% coolant and 60% demineralised water or 30% coolant and 70% demineralised water. I want 50/50
What do you think?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes you can. Calculate how much concentrate you need and away you go. I've heard someone say not to do this but I think they are kidding themself. It will mix together the first time you go for a drive.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@VFSV6FORME, I wouldn’t get too caught up on coolant concentration % too much.

Having said that, your process is correct.

I don’t know how much remains in the block after flushing, so first drain a correctly filled system via the radiator drain plug into a big container. Then measure the volume of fluid that comes out.

The vehicle specs should indicate the total coolant volume. What remains in the system is the total volume - drained volume.

Also the needed concentrate volume for a 50/50 mix = 1/2 total coolant volume.

The only difficulty is if the drained volume < needed concentrate volume but I don’t think that would be the case.

So, it should be ok to flush using whatever technique you want to use. Then pour into the radiator the needed concentrate volume. Finally fill up the remainder of the system with your demineralised water ;) It won’t kill the car... after all swallowing before chewing never killed anyone I know of :rolleyes:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
@VFSV6FORME, I wouldn’t get too caught up on coolant concentration % too much.

Having said that, your process is correct.

I don’t know how much remains in the block after flushing, so first drain a correctly filled system via the radiator drain plug into a big container. Then measure the volume of fluid that comes out.

The vehicle specs should indicate the total coolant volume. What remains in the system is the total volume - drained volume.

Also the needed concentrate volume for a 50/50 mix = 1/2 total coolant volume.

The only difficulty is if the drained volume < needed concentrate volume but I don’t think that would be the case.

So, it should be ok to flush using whatever technique you want to use. Then pour into the radiator the needed concentrate volume. Finally fill up the remainder of the system with your demineralised water ;) It won’t kill the car... after all swallowing before chewing never killed anyone I know of :rolleyes:
Yes drain the radiator, fill it with demineralised water, drive car, let it cool of , drain the radiator again after it cools, fill it again, go a drive come back let it cool, drain the radiator again, fill it with demineralised water do it for the second time I use the Air con on heat too, drain it again, fill it with demineralised water come back drain again after it cools and finished with 5.5 ltr or what is 50% capacity of coolant then top up with demineralised water + make sure the overflow container is the same. 50/50. Now I say it will take me all day to do this.

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Process sounds good. I recently flushed my system 3 times with tank rainwater and then Penrite coolant flush. When flushing I removed one heater hose to water pump and pumped the rainwater through the water pump with the hose.

Then filled with a mix of demineralised water and Penrite race coolant inhibiter.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/10-tenths-race-coolant-inhibitor-concentrate

It now runs at least 2 degrees cooler in all situations. Only thing to be weary of in colder climates this stuff doesn’t have any anti freeze properties.