Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Defected for 18s...

ArmourChinker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Waggy
But the 18s were the defect, it says so on the defect report and the fine??
I'm gonna wait to see what happens at court before I put them back on, I stand a pretty good chance of having it overturned anyhow, I reckon!!

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
So, Anzac Day the local coppers were out in full force, (central west NSW) rbt's everywhere and I happened to get pulled over, straight away they look at the tyre tread and when they seen that they were near new they wanted to look at they placard in inside the drivers door, long story short the VY came from the factory with 15s and apparently I can only go 2 sizes bigger, so got defected and $106 fine for 18 inch mags. Bloody ridiculous!!
The car is a stock Ecotec acclaim waggy except for being lowered on peddlers sl, wheels and tint....
Anyone else been defected for 18" or up wheels?
I had VYSS when new and it came with 18's?? doesn't Holden fit one placard for the entire range??

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Currently got 4 stockies on (defected for 18s) and just noticed one of them is a different offset! One has a deeper dish and sits flush with the front guard, where as the other 3 tuck under the guard by 1/2 to 3/4 inch....
https://imgur.com/a/iAsy7
Never knew stockies came in different offsets!

Standard stockies are 6"

Interceptors are 7"

Maybe you have one interceptor lol

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Currently got 4 stockies on (defected for 18s) and just noticed one of them is a different offset! One has a deeper dish and sits flush with the front guard, where as the other 3 tuck under the guard by 1/2 to 3/4 inch....

the size is stamped on the rim lip near valve... as above they came in 6inch or 7inch

ArmourChinker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Waggy
"I had VYSS when new and it came with 18's?? doesn't Holden fit one placard for the entire range??"

Apparently not, my vy11 acclaim has 15" on its placard......
From what I've read on the RTA website the placard inside the door is only a guideline for what should be fitted to the vehicle, not the be all and end all of what MUST be fitted. The law also states that the diameter of any replacement wheel and tyre package must not exceed what's stated on the placard by more than 15mm.......
The 18s I had on the car are bigger by around 1.5mm, so I'll be contesting the fine....

JTmofo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sportswagon
"I had VYSS when new and it came with 18's?? doesn't Holden fit one placard for the entire range??"

From what I've read on the RTA website the placard inside the door is only a guideline for what should be fitted to the vehicle, not the be all and end all of what MUST be fitted. The law also states that the diameter of any replacement wheel and tyre package must not exceed what's stated on the placard by more than 15mm.......
The 18s I had on the car are bigger by around 1.5mm, so I'll be contesting the fine....

Looks like you should be sweet, just arm yourself with as much info as possible before going into the magistrate.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore

According to a tyre wheel calc your under :)

Results for tyre 205 / 65 R 15
Rolling Radius 323.75mm
Circumference 2034.18mm
Diameter 647.5mm

Results for tyre 235 / 40 R 18
Rolling Radius 322.6mm
Circumference 2026.96mm
Diameter 645.2mm

Differences between Wheel/Tyre 1 & 2
Rolling Radius -1.15mm
Circumference -7.22mm
Diameter -2.3mm
When your speedo reads 100km/hr you're actually at 99.64km/hr

Assuming I got the tyre size correct ;)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

While you're checking out the laws, what does it say about having different width rims/tyres on the one end of the vehicle ?

Hate to get done for that.

ArmourChinker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Waggy
Defected for 18s

Haha! Just had another look and they are all stamped 6" with 205 tyres, but one is a different offset, dunno what's goin on there??

Last edited:

ArmourChinker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Waggy
Quick update:
So went to court armed with a print out of the RMS guidelines and printed out screenshot of the online wheels/tyre ratio calculator, but it wasn't enough for the magistrate and he adjourned it for a few months so a "RMS expert" can be present.