Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cost to paint panels

MaxH

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.2 HZ ute
How much would it cost to paint a couple panels on a VY ute?
Previous owner had most of the car repainted, just wanted to see how much it would cost to paint maybe 3 or 4 panels (Less than 2 square meters?), the car is red, cant remember the colour code but is a factory colour.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Call some panel beaters, you're not going to get anything accurate here.

Generally, if they have to paint a single panel, they will have to paint about half of whatever panel is next to it to get it to blend properly. If the paint is metallic, it's not unheard of having to paint the entire side of the car if you replace say a door or something. So for 2ish square meters, I'd dare say it would be at least half the car if it's all confined to one half, or would just be worth doing the entire care if it's patches in different places.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had two ute bumprettes painted and they were already primed and the bloke charged me $200 cash. Retail was about $300.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
How much would it cost to paint a couple panels on a VY ute?
Previous owner had most of the car repainted, just wanted to see how much it would cost to paint maybe 3 or 4 panels (Less than 2 square meters?), the car is red, cant remember the colour code but is a factory colour.
You’ll be pushing out to about $1000 plus. That would be for a quick low standard job. There will be a lot of prep work to be done. I don’t think it’s a case of “it’s a couple of panels, she’ll be right, $400” There’s a lot of time in getting the panels level.

Then, they will want to blend the panels. Otherwise there will be an obvious difference in the panels. No one will just exactly match the colour. Colour mixing is as much an art as it is a science.

Recent example of mine:
I wanted my hard lid sprayed, which is less than 2m2, and was looking at $1500.
Vinyl wrapping was quoted at $800!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I just got a fairly decent crease repaired in my boot lid from the previous owner reversing into something and it only cost $650. I did put it off for quite a while because I thought it would be closer to $2000 as they would want to replace the boot lid rather than repair it but they repaired it and matched the metallic blue paint well.

Call around and see what prices you get, you might be pleasantly surprised.

MaxH

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.2 HZ ute
Thanks for the feedback, The paint is really nice around most of the car and ok in a few spots, with specks of paint off on maybe 1/2 m ^2. I can live with it though and I will get other things done first.
Only a matter of time before its mint...