Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Considering VS Ute...

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
I was leaning towards a VC/VH/VK 6-cyl for my first car but my mate will be selling his VS V6 Automatic Ute in about twelve months for around $10k.

It has petrol/gas, weatherproof lockable canopy, near mint condition (if it didn't have a broken A/C button and deep scuff marks in the tray THEN it would be mint), VS Berlina alloy wheels, sheepskin seat covers, mobile phone holder, CB radio, 174,8??k's.

It's a very nice car, I've been in it and there's no unusual noises or knocks/bumps. Rides like a dream and best of all... my boss took it to see his family in Albury last year... $40 and it got him from Crows Nest to 100k's out of Albury.

Are there any really bad, expensive problems I should be looking out for?

Would this car be a better all rounder than a VH (no biased replies please)?

Any help would be terrific - Thank You in advance.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Advice

hey

Really depends if you can afford it. If you go the ute the insurance is going to be high, and if you have to get a large loan you'll be paying it off for ages. On the other hand though a VC-VK isnt going to be in mint condition. Its going to need repairs and they can cost a lot. A VC-VK is no where near as good to drive or ride in. You will have a minor crash at sometime at least (we all do it) and the utes going to cost more to fix.

It really depends on your budject, if you can afford the ute and insurance (transfer fees as well, $40 for every $800 of car value i think??? would mean you'll have to pay $1000 to transfer and rego etc) and anything else that needs attention. So unless you have $12K i would probaby go an older car.

Why not VL? they are a dime a dozzen and parts are cheap.

I drive i a VR so i dont really know much bout the VS's, but they are a good reliable car that are pretty fuel effeicent. Parts are cheap due to their numbers and a Ute will hold its value a LOT longer. Also depends if you have your heart set on manual....

Its probably better that you thrash a shitty VC than a VS ute. Your more likly to get yourself into **** in a VS than VC, but you'll be safer in the VS. I would recommend getting a **** heap for your first car, try and get a straight car with no problems. Better to go a 60 yearolds stock VK than a hot Ex-P platers. lol If it breaks majorly scrap it and buy a decent car. Otherwise you'll end up driving the ute hard and wear it down. If you treat a commodore well it will last and be a pleasure to drive and own, if you thrash it its going to cost you, and cost you BIG!!!!! :cry:

Just my advice, its personal preferance in teh end
Cheers