Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

coming back to holden over ford

dat111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
i traded my statesman on a ef xr6 and from the day one all i have had is problems with it got extractors on it yesterday and now the gearbox has shot its self, so i said screw it and on tuesday im buying a VS v6 acclaim. so ive got a few questions,

when inspecting a car what to look for?

is there anything bad about the acclaim?

how hard is it to get an lsd for a irs ?

will 215/55/16 tyres fit commies 16in rims?

Robb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Oil leaks (engine, transmission, diff, rocker covers), rust, coolant use, central locking, the aircon, fan, coolant in engine oil, coolant leaks from heater tap.
You might also want to check engine, trans and coolant levels, may give you an idea if the car has been looked after.
Whether the rubber door seals are coming off.
No engine vibration at medium-hard throttle.
Over heating when the car is stationary.
Transmission should not take more then 1 second to switch gears once you select the gear.
The major one is the inlet manifold gasket which seems to be a common part to fail on the emotecs, and if you are not willing to replace it yourself it can be quite costly in labour for a mechanic to do so. So check for coolant use, mist coming out exhaust (more prominent during acceleration).

Well I named what I believe are the more common issues with the VS, I'm sure I've missed some obvious stuff though.

The most reliable car I've owned to date has been a series 3 au falcon, go figure (which I still drive now and then but prefer my vs). My point being that when it comes to cars alot of the time it is just luck of the draw, you could replace your xr6 with another and it could be extremely reliable, or you could get a vs and you could have no end of problems.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
I know with any dual air bag model of VS (Acclaim being one of them) they have a nasty habit of the passenger air bag cover peel off. The LSD are a dime a dozen for old commodores.