Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coil packs- anyone know a Sydney shop I can buy over the counter- Not The big ones

Berlina&Jag guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina Wagon
My 06 VZ needs coil packs- I replaced one for a slight improvement but obviously need to do all 6.
Things is, due to politics of how we”re being slowly screwed over I”m a bit funny about big franchise business and even more funny about flea-bay etc.
i”m just looking for a good old school parts place that will sell me them over the counter for cash- no names or memberships asked for!

I’m on the North Shore but will go 10-15km or so.

any ideas?

need 6 good quality 12629037 equivalent. Don’t mind paying $300-$400 but they at least need stamps and proof of where they come from. Got a $70+ one from Repco and there where no stamps or markings of any sort. For all I know they sold me a $10 coil pack for 7x the real value.

How do we know what”s real any more?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Peps in Artarmon can get anything you need.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
My 06 VZ needs coil packs- I replaced one for a slight improvement but obviously need to do all 6.
Got a $70+ one from Repco and there where no stamps or markings of any sort. For all I know they sold me a $10 coil pack for 7x the real value.
I saw the Repco markups on some headers once, it was at least 100%, so double the price. I know that Supercheap used to sell cheap Alloytec coils for about $30 a piece if you're in a rush, but realistically if it ain't broke don't fix it. Maybe buy a spare one to keep in the glovebox and replace the couple that are inaccessible, but just because one failed isn't really an indicator about the condition of the rest.

Having said that, you'd be a lot better off buying something branded from a reputable web store (I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but I don't mean Supercheap or Repco) because you can actually look at the details of the part, do some looking around, and can more easily make a judgment about it's quality.

Berlina&Jag guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina Wagon
I saw the Repco markups on some headers once, it was at least 100%, so double the price. I know that Supercheap used to sell cheap Alloytec coils for about $30 a piece if you're in a rush, but realistically if it ain't broke don't fix it. Maybe buy a spare one to keep in the glovebox and replace the couple that are inaccessible, but just because one failed isn't really an indicator about the condition of the rest.

Having said that, you'd be a l

Having said that, you'd be a lot better off buying something branded from a reputable web store (I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but I don't mean Supercheap or Repco) because you can actually look at the details of the part, do some looking around, and can more easily make a judgment about it's quality.

I hear you but to be honest I’m totally over the whole issue. Five out of six are 212,000km old. It’s a twenty minute job. The gasket is only six months old so no need for another one.
I just want to make the warning light go away or at least narrow the problem away from it being the coils.
My symptoms are loss of power when flooring it (goes into misfire limp-mode), bad fuel economy and the damned warning light. If it’s not coils at least I can then look at 02 sensors, fuel injectors or the cats. I’m not even thinking chain because that would mean good-bye VZ. Besides, the chain is the later type (supposedly better one). Also, I’ve drilled out the left bank PCV valve for better breathing and hopefully less sludge.
thanks for your answers!

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
any ex holden dealers close who may have click and collect as genuine is preferred over aftermarket when it comes to electronics

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi Berlina and Jag guy did you feel the car missing from time to time? The reason I ask is that one or more coils went on mine and that was one of the symptoms. Have you had the car scanned for any error codes and if so did anything come up?

Berlina&Jag guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina Wagon
Hi Berlina and Jag guy did you feel the car missing from time to time? The reason I ask is that one or more coils went on mine and that was one of the symptoms. Have you had the car scanned for any error codes and if so did anything come up?
Hi Mate. Yes my cheap Chinese OBDII scanner didn’t give an exact answer but the mechanic who did another fix job used the expensive machine and told me one was failing- I didn’t get the exact cylinder number and felt he would probably want to charge me again if I went back.
Anyway, today I went to Pep’s in Artarmon (thanks GreenACC) and got six NGK coil packs for $600 Cash. Took about 45mins and I swear on the test drive it was a different beast.
The test to do is go slow up a long hill in top gear and then suddenly floor it. Before it used to stutter, then the check engine light would come on and it would go into a misfire limp-home mode. Now it just drops two gears and takes off like a rocket. Best $600 I reckon I spent. Probably could have gone $300 for a Chinese made set but NGK are like Bosch but better. I’ll be monitoring my fuel economy now as well. Was getting 17-18L/100km- I bet that goes down to a more normal 12-13(around town). Still can squeeze 7.9L/100km on a Sydney to Melbourne trip- but I never want to visit that Gestapo run place ever again!! Same goes for Brisbane. Sorry to sidetrack!!
Good luck

H

harrop.senator

NGK are good they're my preferred non OEM they're definitely a bit cheaper on account. But hey if they last another 15 years what's $600 right?

Berlina&Jag guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina Wagon
Yes I know I paid probably $100- $150 too much.
But I was being driven crazy by the whole eBay/Amazon thing.
How do you really know you are getting ?
Ive decided over the counter is the only way to go now- on everything.
On a similar situation I’m a carpenter and have been stung online buying 18v lithium batteries that use every marketing trick to convince you they’re real- even when you get them and hold side by side with the real deal it’s perfect- things is the insides are different and the chip talks to the tool and the tool says nope- not real, I’m not going to run with this fake battery.
Only answer- buy over the counter, and pay more.
I think the same applies for things like these coils.