Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] Climate Control Fan or Blower Speed Resistor or Controller

kelvedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina
kelvedon

The resistor on my vy lumina has gone 3 times now, so I guess the problem is with the fan motor or a short in the cabling.
How do i get the blower fan motor out to see if its the problem, and any advice on what i should be looking for if this is the reason too much current is being drawn through the can control resistor and blowing it?

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Thanks to the OP was wondering how to get to those resistors.

Ottis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
OK my fan only works on High with heat and air con but did what you mentioned and it helped locate the resistor but like a few others had to a large heat sink on it. but no wires? had a screw a little longer that was soldered on the board but re soldered it and just tried it but only high works still. any ideas or is there another? also when i have the fan going, if i go uphill something touches as it swaps to the windscreen until i level out and it swaps back, but nothing was loose in this resistor?

Traxsta

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, all fixed now......:beer chug:

SSWES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
A big thanks for that simple and free fix on a vy Calais.

trungcan82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Hi guys, I tried to re-soldering all component on my Fan Resistor (Climate control with my VY Berlina), and tested each component with Multidigital Meter but they were well. Then re-plug in, my fan speed is still on highest one only. So, what can I do?
Regards.

Minh NGUYEN.

whipsy77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commy
Hi guys

I have VZ commodore and the fan is having all sorts of issues, basically it will not work on speeds 2 or 3 at all, and will only work on 1 and 4 ($ very rarely) if i jiggle the speed dial around, and even then it wont stay on for long. im thinking maybe a wiring issue behind the dial but not entirely sure?

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
My VYII Berlina is on its fourth vacuum issue in 13 years. It has had one of the vacuum actuators replaced three times so far. Same part each time or so I'm told. Stripping the dash to gain access I decided to remove and test the vacuum tank. When I removed a strip of adhesive backed foam covering the two black feed lines (one in from the check valve at the rear of the engine intake plenum, the other out to feed the solenoid valve bank) I discovered that at some point someone had wound several turns of insulation tape around the vac. inlet port (larger of the two ports). Tossed away the tape and found the elbow shaped connector very loose when pushed home onto the port. Found a small piece of suitably sized tubing to slide on the port first, then pushed the connector over that. the fit was way tighter but didn't fix my poor vacuum issue.
Tested the tank by submerging in water and pressurising with air, no bubbles, tank appeared OK.
I removed the solenoid bank and using a bench power supply tested each of the solenoids to make sure they operated. All appeared to work as a click can be heard when applying power. I'm yet to strip the foam filter material from the pack as I suspect due to the poor condition of the foam (i.e disintegrating with heat/age etc) minute particles have entered one or more of the solenoid valves causing poor vacuum flow. Will check this and post another note. Other than that, I may yet need to replace vac. actuator 92140681 yet again as just prior to the failure a definite thud was heard when I switched off the engine.
Sorry for the long winded post all.
For those interested a company called "Air International" appears to be the OEM that produces these HVAC units for Holden (as well as many other car makers worldwide). I am attempting to contact them regarding these vacuum related issues. After reading so many posts from drivers with the same/similar problem, I've concluded that with all the HVAC components working sweetly, this unit just barely operates and that's all. There is little or no margin for aging parts, low vacuum due maybe to ports being partially blocked, reduced diameter vac. lines such as the black inlet line to my tank (forgot that earlier, besides the tape I found the black line from the inlet manifold to have been flattened, it was sitting behind the plastic body of the AC itself and had become partially crushed)
Will post more when I've nutted out this latest failure. Not beaten yet and don't intend to let this thing win. :eek:)

lippy3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs bt1 5.0l
Well done FIXEDIT i had same fan problem on my VY SS and thought it would be a rip blower out and replace job.After seeing you forum it worked out to be a ten min fix.