Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cellink Neo battery rebuild

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Hi i have a Cellink Neo and four of the cells are dead , can any one tell me of a good Li ion battery spot welder and a good battery tester charger , maybe @stooge can help me a bit, i know theres a few traps involving this sorta thing , so any help is appreciated ooh @chrisp knows some stuff
EDIT: OOOOH First thread in a new forum :D

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
you can pickup mini/battery spot welders on ebay for around 50~100 bucks that will do the job.
you obviously already know not to use a soldering iron, but for others reading this use a spot welder not an iron.

the tricky part will be finding the replacement cells.

a lot of consumer electronics use the 3.7v li-ion cells and you can find replacements at jaycar, ebay, aliexpress etc
just match the voltage(3.7) and the amp hour rating then look at sizes so they physically fit and if you can find ones with tags on them like these and you wont need to get the bridging material but it may also depend on the config/how many batteries are in the chain, getting them without tags and the bridging material separate might be easier.

Last edited:

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
you can pickup mini/battery spot welders on ebay for around 50~100 bucks that will do the job.

a lot of consumer electronics use the 3.7v li-ion cells and you can find replacements at jaycar, ebay, aliexpress etc
just match the voltage(3.7) and the amp hour rating then look at sizes so they physically fit and if you can find ones with tags on them like these and you wont need to get the bridging material but it may also depend on the config/how many batteries are in the chain, getting them without tags and the bridging material separate might be easier.

[/URL][/URL][/URL]
I'm pretty sure i've souced the correct cells its just a good spot welder, ive seen a few from about $50 Spot Welder but i dont want to waist money on crap, same with a tester/charger.
20240130_164059.jpg

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
you obviously already know not to use a soldering iron, but for others reading this use a spot welder not an iron.

[/URL][/URL]

I’m not a lot of practical help on this as I don’t actually have a battery spot welder myself. However, I did consider buying one a while back and a web search seemed to indicate that there are some models that are recommended by others. YouTube and web reviews are probably the way to go.

If you are spot welding, definitely get the cells without tabs. The linking strips that you’ll be welding on are effectively the tabs.

The cells are fairly standardised in size (as you probably already know), so finding replacements should be reasonably easy enough. 18650 are as common as.

The only other thing I can think of is make sure that the cells as ‘balanced’ in capacity - don’t mix old and new, nor mix brands. It’s not essential, but it wouldn’t hurt to pre-charge the cells to the same voltage before assembling, but I wouldn’t stress too much over that if they all read about the same voltage, I’d just assemble them in to a pack and let the balancing circuit take care of the imbalance. Just give the pack a long charge initially and leave it in teh charge even if the charge says it’s fully charged. The small trickle charge can help bring the cells back in to balance.

Keep us in the loop with how it all goes. I was considering rebuilding a couple of power tool batteries, but in the end I took advantage of a Bunnings trade-in offer so that need has now passed.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I'm pretty sure i've souced the correct cells its just a good spot welder, ive seen a few from about $50 Spot Welder but i dont want to waist money on crap, same with a tester/charger.

nice, they have a part number "ifr18650ec" makes life easy.

i think most of the small spot welders will do the trick, but i would want to go with something that plugs in over a rechargeable one.
something like this

the main reason being is that you dont need to worry about the battery degrading over time when it sits on the shelf not being used.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
AH yes , i didn't think about the one i posted was a battery one .

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Well, you know what, it's going to cost $350 to buy a new Cellink , if i buy that spot welder and 4 cells for $50 i'm still $130 in front and have a bit of gear to add to the work shop

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If you're going budget the Sunkko/Vevor 737g is a good choice. Use the opportunity to increase your mAh, most BMS don't care about capacity. Vape batteries make great candidates with their high discharge and high efficiency cycle rate. I'm a fan of Samsung 30Q and Molicel P28A. It'll go beyond the Cellink, you can rejuvenate other stuff like power tool packs, anything with an 18650 or 21700

Reactions: Lex

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
If you're going budget the Sunkko/Vevor 737g is a good choice. Use the opportunity to increase your mAh, most BMS don't care about capacity. Vape batteries make great candidates with their high discharge and high efficiency cycle rate. I'm a fan of Samsung 30Q and Molicel P28A. It'll go beyond the Cellink, you can rejuvenate other stuff like power tool packs, anything with an 18650 or 21700
I just tried to cancel that welder, mainly because i realized it was a Chinese vendor and i know it'll end up coming from China 3/4 weeks later . If i was to up the battery size/capacity would that not mean i have to replace all the batteries to match ?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Good old slow boat. I'm a fan of replacing them all, cells age and one worn out cell can hamper the pack. You can mix capacity, it just breaks my first comment, keep them in batches hot off the press