Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Burnout son...Lesson one

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Guy is an a class moron, take your kids to a skidpan/track etc when old enough to drive.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Just to clarify, it's burnout right? Not a skid. Skidding is when a tyre that's not rotating slides across the road surface (hence it's called anti-skid brakes). Whereas a burnout is when the tyre is rotating on a single spot.

In Aussie slang, "chucking a skid" is doing a burnout.

The term "burnout" is generally only used at comps or on today tonight hoon reports these days

But back on topic, that father in the story, what a moron.....

Does he not realize that police can now impound cars for hoon activities on private property just the same as on the road (not sure about other states but in SA you can be impounded for skids on your own land)

This story just helps implant the vision in the public that all motoring enthusiasts are skid happy bogans.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
To teach a kid how to get a feel for a car, learn how to control the car. Yes even put the car into an oversteer, and understeer, and other sorts of conditions of a car loosing traction or control, and teach the kid how to get the car into control the car in these situations or what to do.
That is fair enough.

Too put it into their heads at the age of these kids in this video that chucking burnouts is cool, well, this is a touchy subject.
A. Is the father saying his kids will only and will only do this kind of thing on private properties or in a proper motor sport event.
B. Is the father saying yeah all good, these kids can do this any time so he will teach them so they already know how to chuck burnouts
C. His kids are probably going to chuck burnouts anyway as they have already grown up seeing him do them, he may as well teach his kids how to do them so hopefully they won't come unstuck when they get their license and go out somewhere to chuck a skid.

I just think the father is an idiot for posting this up on social media, and YouTube.

I would rather see a kid in a car chucking a skid than bolting through a forest on trail bike doing over 100kph going past trees., but hey, parents let their kids do this.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
You could liken this to dad giving son sex education lessons as well.
Same difference.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I don't see any problem with teaching a kid how to control a car under adult supervision on private land. But its easy to see how big of a shitstorm this has and will become.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Kids driving motorbikes around a farm doing mono's and jumps from the time they can walk....

Kids doing high speed waterskiing from the time they can walk

Kids riding horses from the time they can walk

Kids racing go karts from the time they can walk

Kids driving cars around farms from the time they can walk

Point of the story is, you're never too young to learn, because someone else out there started doing something apparently 'dangerous' (like one of the above) from the time they 'could walk' (figuratively speaking).

I don't see the problem with it. If the dad is teaching proper respect for cars, nothing wrong with burnouts in the right circumstances...then perhaps he might be doing a good life lesson for his kids as well as letting them have fun.

The point is, the media and the cops are being fags about this.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Dad gave me a beer to taste when i was 12 or 13 years old as i was curious

Hated the taste then, tolerable now.

Doesnt mean Im a alcoholic

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Dad gave me a beer to taste when i was 12 or 13 years old as i was curious

Hated the taste then, tolerable now.

Doesnt mean Im a alcoholic

you're going to hate me for this, but it doesn't mean your dad was being responsible either.

stay with me though, motorsport I believe for the young uns is fine - but it should be in a safe, controlled environment, my Uncle's kids all did/do junior dragster and they love it (do plenty of burnouts as well) but above all it's as safe as it gets.

Plenty can go wrong when doing this kind of stuff on private property, if you are in a controlled environment you reduce the risk greatly.