Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buggered DVD disc repairs

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
Howdy all

I've got an entire spindle of DVD discs that is falling to bits, some discs have already had the plastic top layer separate entirely from the rest of the disc and on others you can see where they are starting to separate

Managed to salvage a few of the ones that have just started coming apart of have minor signs of coming apart but does anyone know of any adhesives that would restick the two layers without eating through or affecting the data side of the disc ?

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
I wouldnt recommend using any adhesives...

If you have some clear packing tape you can place the disk on a clean flat surface and run the tape across it evenly.

Then carefully with a stanley knife cut round the disk and the centre.

Once the excess tape is cut off, wave a nakid flame over to heat up the tape so it sticks to the disk better. (making sure you dont melt the tape)

This is only a temporary solution to your problem, enough to let you get the data off the disk.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
The only proper, reliable "repair" that you can do is to get any and all of the data on those discs backed up onto a more reliable form of media (such as a hard drive, or another CD or DVD) fast, before they disintegrate much more.

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
That's what I've done with the ones that aren't totally broken yet but was sort of hoping the ones that have come apart entirely can be at least temporarily fixed so i can get the data off them

Ozzie_VT, will try your method with one of the worst discs and hopefully that helps... Cheers....:)