Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake failure

Turrawan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary
Hi all. Twice in the last few months my brake pedal has almost gone to the floor. There is still some brake but not much. Brake failure light appears on dash. When I pulled over turned car off & let sit for 1/2 hour all was fine when I started the car again. Any ideas?

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Hi all. Twice in the last few months my brake pedal has almost gone to the floor. There is still some brake but not much. Brake failure light appears on dash. When I pulled over turned car off & let sit for 1/2 hour all was fine when I started the car again. Any ideas?
Do you have any brake fluid in the reservoir? Check your master cylinder/ booster for any lines that are loose or have come off.

If the pedal goes to the floor I'd start look for a leak, so I'd check the reservoir first, then look at the callipers for obvious signs of leaking fluid, then go over your brake lines back to front looking for damage.

Could be as simple as a calliper bleed nipple hasn't been torqued up properly and is allowing fluid to escape and air to enter the system.

Is the pedal spongy when it doesn't sink to the floor?

If you're not mechanically minded, get the car to your mechanic asap.

Don't drive it until it's been fixed properly or you can end up hurting yourself or others.

Turrawan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary
Do you have any brake fluid in the reservoir? Check your master cylinder/ booster for any lines that are loose or have come off.

If the pedal goes to the floor I'd start look for a leak, so I'd check the reservoir first, then look at the callipers for obvious signs of leaking fluid, then go over your brake lines back to front looking for damage.

Could be as simple as a calliper bleed nipple hasn't been torqued up properly and is allowing fluid to escape and air to enter the system.

Is the pedal spongy when it doesn't sink to the floor?

If you're not mechanically minded, get the car to your mechanic asap.

Don't drive it until it's been fixed properly or you can end up hurting yourself or others.
Thx Lex but fluid level fine. No leaks. That’s what is so puzzling.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thx Lex but fluid level fine. No leaks. That’s what is so puzzling.

I'd put it down to the master cylinder starting to fail....

Book into a mechanic to replace really soon it if you're not competant....

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yeah. Master cylinder failing.
Fluid is bypassing the seals.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
If my brake pedal went to the floor just once, I would stop driving it until it was fixed.
To keep driving it is just crazy.