Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake /cyl. 1 inch

robbo10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK/SL 3.3l AUTO SED.
I know this has probably been mentioned before. I cannot find the thread or link for it (I have looked). If someone knows the link or thread could they please advise me otherwise what model commodore did the 1 inch Brake m/cyl. come out on. I know it was the V8 and it was more than likely all disc brake, but which model. I can only find 15/16" ones at the wreckers. New one is $150.00 and they have to get it in.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
VN onwards(V8 and S pack). Ive been quoted 80 bucks just for the rebuild kit and close to 300 for a new one so if you can get a new one for 150 I would grab it.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
All V8 Commodores and the turbo VL had 1 inch master cyl

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
not all V8s had 1 inch master cylinder, my VB SL/E don't. Apparently HDT was the first to use 1 inch master cylinder on there first VC models, HDT got into trouble over it.
I think most BT1s got them.

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
I thought all disc models had the 1 inch?

Ever since fitting rear discs and VLT front callipers my brakes have been a bit brick-like, I always assumed that this was because I didn't fit the new master cylinder...

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Dont forget when you change your Master Cylinder you will also need to chage your brake booster as the 1" master cylinder wont bolt up to the 15/16 booster.

cheers
Scott

robbo10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK/SL 3.3l AUTO SED.
Ok, Here's the story so far. Got the 1" master cyl. (PBR for VK), got VT calipers, got 298mm vented and slotted discs for front (VS-VT clubbie discs I think), got billet hubs complete with new bearings and seals so I can fit discs and calipers, got QFM large VT pads.

The master cyl. fitted with minor plumbing re-arrangement to the original booster. The hubs went on and the discs too, the caliper bolted to the VK mount without an adapter. The pedal now feels better than the original M/cyl. did and sits just as high under full pressure on the pedal when braking. The pedal with the 15/16" M/Cyl. dropped very close to the floor but still activated the brakes. Didn't feel good when you went for the brakes quickly.

Where I obtained the M/cyl. they advised not to change the booster because it would do the job required without a problem. It's only when you start fitting the M/cyl. from VN onwards you change the booster because the M/cyl. is physically bigger and the mounting bolts could be in a different location to that required by the M/cyl.. So you use the booster the M/cyl. was mounted on when it came out. Don't start throwing stuff, that's what they said.

Ragnarok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Only the 308's got the 1" in the vb/vk. 253's only got the 15/16" and if you get a second hand one be aware that a lot of brake joints wont put a seal kit through them as if they are worn they will just start leaking again.

robbo10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK/SL 3.3l AUTO SED.
The m/cyl. was new. Brake test yesterday gave a result of 0.77g. It was still fitted with drum brakes on the rear too. Tester says improve the back brakes just a little bit and it will be frightening. (Disc rear end coming up soon hopefully.) All but the M/cyl. thanks to Mr. SPARES. M/cyl. was Betta Brakes Bayswater.