Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best way wire dashcam?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So just go myself a dashcam, trying to work out the best way to wire it in, in a VY Series II.

I've thought about using power from the overhead light, but it only has constant 12v, not accessory driven.

The cigarette lighter to mini-usb power cable provided won't be long enough to get to the centre console, nor do I want to use my only socket.

Couple of ideas I've thought about;

1. Buy a cigarette socket and wire it up to an accessory wire, and use the provided power cable.

2. Run an accessory power cable up the sunglass holder/map light housing, and use a deconstructed car phone charger to reduce to 5v and run to the camera. Probably my most liked idea.

3. Profit?

Throw up some ideas, or how you have done it guys/gals.

-Cheers.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have a 3 socket + 1 USB socket adaptor that runs out of the factory cigarette lighter socket.....Out of this socket, I run a Navman and the in car camera....the cable is plenty long enough to run from the centre console to above the rear view mirror 3 times.....this is in my VC Commodore....The left over cable sits under the dash mat...

So the route is, the cigarette lighter socket in the dash, to a multiadaptor cigarette lighter adaptor, which is located between the drivers seat and centre console....from there, the cable runs up the centre of the dash, to under a dash mat to the windscreen, behind the rear view mirror

My spare socket is there for an in car fridge for those weekend away trips.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I mounted 2 accessory outlets (wired to the factory accessory outlet), in my glove box.
In doing that, you could use a USB/cigarette lighter adaptor in the glove box and run the wire from that,
up the inside of the A pillar and across to the map light.
You could actually run the wire, through the opening where the stopper is on the glove box.