Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Cam Brand

Harissz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SSZ 5.7
Hi everyone, I’m curious as to which brand sells the best quality camshafts and have a good reputation. I’ve read around about the VCM cams being poorer quality lately and that GM Motorsport or crow cams are a better alternative? If anyone has experience with these brands feel free to suggest which one is better as I have been steering towards a VCM cam due to most tuners/workshops in my area using VCM more than the GM or Crows

Cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I bought a crow about 2 years ago and so far so good.....

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I put a VCM in my VZ ute along with all the ancillaries. VCM were great to work with and I have not had a problem with anything they provided. It was three years ago though.

The VY we are building has a Comp Cams Xtreme Energy cam, but it was installed by the previous owner. It is early days but is runs fine.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I’ve never had a cam fail, granted I have only had 2, crane and comp.
The one mystery in my SS is whose cam is in there.
Kinda hope I don’t need to find out haha
Unless I decide to change it and do heads too. But I digress!

Harissz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SSZ 5.7
I’ve never had a cam fail, granted I have only had 2, crane and comp.
The one mystery in my SS is whose cam is in there.
Kinda hope I don’t need to find out haha
Unless I decide to change it and do heads too. But I digress!
It’s an excuse to find out get the heads done mate haha

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I’ve read around about the VCM cams being poorer quality lately and that GM Motorsport or crow cams are a better alternative?
Poorer quality in what way? Bent? Metallurgy and wiped out lobes?

GM Motorsport almost certainly wouldn't manufacture their own cams either, they'd just have somebody manufacture camshafts to their specs. Their manufacturer is probably Crow anyway.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Only bad thing I have heard about and read about Crow is there valve springs are pretty well known for snapping. Haven't seen bad reports on their sticks, other than they not as aggressive as some.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
alot of people sell cams, not alot of people make cams, there are good and better but for a LS most are fine, just the better quality names (cam manufactures) have greater accuracy when grinding the cam lobes, i was going to get a custom cam thru crow of my own design but they couldnt do different intake to exhaust lifts, they also have added it to there catalogue so they must have liked my specs even tho i didnt want it as it wasnt made exactly as i wanted in the end

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
VCM might be the most popular, but in terms of build quality they are down the bottom.

For an LS I prefer Crow or Texas Speed, a good range of performance grinds that focus on getting the most out of your engine, not just making it sound tough at the lights. Some of the GM Motorsport offerings are good for relatively stock cars too (standard converters etc).

I find with VCM 90% of people choose cams through them solely on "how lumpy it is" compared to actually picking a good cam for the application. All the kids just go and buy the most "hectic" VCM grinds for maximum car meet respect.

Last edited: