Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic transmission noise

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
When I start the VX V6 Acclaim after sitting all night the automatic transmission make a very strange tinny rattly noise for about 4 seconds and then settles down and when I select drive or reverse it makes the noise again but only for a few seconds.
It only make the noise when the vehicle is cold and I've even tested this by driving it for a minute and then starting it again but it seems once it's warmed up it's fine.
I only had the transmission serviced a month /3000klms ago just before driving from Emerald Qld to Coolangatta/Lismore and return and the noise started after 800klms but since it drives fine and isn't getting any worse
I'm waiting until I can get back to the city so the transmission guys can inspect and correct.

Has anyone else ever experienced the same noise, its a real tinny vibrating noise.

Last edited:

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Check your fluid level, the correct way. Sometimes mechanics can under or over fill them, due to not having the time to check using the right method.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
The service was carried out by a automatic transmission place and they even said the transmission is in A1 condition.
I don't know how to check the transmission oil in the Commodore but will see if I can find out in here.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
To check the level, drive the car for a good twenty minutes to make sure it is hot. Park on flat, level ground and leave the engine idling with the selector in PARK. Wait a minute for the fluid to settle, then remove tranny dipstick and wipe clean. After about 30 seconds replace the dipstick and flip the lock on the top of dipstick. Next unlock it, remove dipstick and read the level. It must be within the cross hatches, between the top and bottom holes of the 'hot' mark.