Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Mechanic, W. Sydney/Blue Mountains Area?

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
Does anyone know of a mechanic in the Western Sydney / Blue Mountains area who is honest, and good with Alloytecs?

I'm starting to lose faith in the local guy.
He's honest and forthright, and good with simple stuff, but his young workers are a bit careless, and I'm starting to think that they're out of their depth with my Adventra.

The head gasket has an outside leak, and they're quoting thousands. (like $4000+)
I think only one of the guys has done serious work on an Alloytec before.

In the last 4 visits, when I picked up my car:

Visit 1: Major service, using the check-list from the manual.
- Not everything on my check-list had been done. (they didn't tick it off until I insisted)
- They left my car parked across the road with the keys in it. Quiet street, but I wasn't happy.

Visit 2: Radiator blown
- Left a socket wrench still attached to a socket inside the engine bay. I found it when I got home.

Visit 3: Looking at coolant leak (current problem)
- Forgot to reconnect the variable-length intake manifold solenoid. It was throwing codes, and I had to analyse it myself & tell them what was wrong before I left the garage.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
far out, your mechanic sounds lousy. Good idea to look around.

My mechanics once forgot to tighten the windage tray bolts on the SS and the front 2 fell out on the way home. I calmly explained I wasn't very pleased about that as it happened on a major road in peak hour and I had to get on my back in a business shirt to take the other 2 out and put the tray in the boot.
He said it would never happen again, and I believe that to be the case. We all make mistakes and forget stuff like that but 3 times with your guy? nah move on.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
They're quoting so much because they don't want the job. I'd hate to pull one of those things apart!

On a positive note, you got a free socket

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
They're quoting so much because they don't want the job. I'd hate to pull one of those things apart!

On a positive note, you got a free socket

Maybe; they seem willing. I just get the impression that they're not the best guys to do an Alloytec.

No bonus, though - I gave the socket and ratchet back.

D

Don123

I had my muster cylinder done once and they forgot to bleed the brakes, luckily I put my foot on the pedal first thing before driving away. another time I had the brake fluid flushed and when I got home there was fluid everywhere. I also had tools left under the bonnet, got home and noticed that my bonnet is not flash with the mudguard.

XioiX1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 V8 Adventra
I hate to say this but something like that may be a holden job.

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
I hate to say this but something like that may be a holden job.

Good call. I had a conversation last night where we came to the same conclusion.
At least Holden SHOULD have some Alloytec experts on hand, so no time wasted looking at the manual, figuring out what to do next, etc.

I'll get them to have a look at it, and see if their diagnosis is the same, for starters.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
As Holden Mechanics , are probably well trained in repairs to the GM engines , a GM/ Holden workshop would have been my first point of call , if the original mechanic couldn't or wasn't able to fix it .

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
I've lost count of how many timing chain jobs I've done on Alloytec engines, never had to do a head gasket though but I can't see it being a brain teaser... Any qualified mechanic with attention to detail should be able to do the job, if not they should hand in their MVRIC licence.
$4000 does seem very steep, although the job would be fiddly and time consuming I don't see it being worth that much, you could buy and fit another engine for less than that.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I was under the impression that Alloytec head gaskets were on the pricey side, and a replacement was cheaper than a repair. I was quoted 2.5K for my ecotec head gasket, got a very low KM fitted for less than that. Although that was by the mechanic the RACV towed me too, and they are all rip off merchants.