Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircond Recycle Button Doesn't Do anything

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Has anyone else with a SSV, Berlina or Calais with the climate control noticed that the recycle button doesn't seem to make any difference?

Can't comment on the Omega, SV6 or SS with the standard air... but suspect it would be the same.

I noticed some time ago then had a colleague with an SSV tell me he noticed the same thing, reckons he asked the dealer, and they said it doesn't do anything.... which seems strange...

..... ahhhh the old placebo recycle button trick hey???? You think it's recycling... so you don't think you can smell the garbage truck in front of you.... yep... that'd be it.

Sort of like Ford putting "Boss 290" stickers on their bonnet bulge... they think it's 290kw so they think it's fast!!! AHAHAHAHA:yeah::yeah::yeah:

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
try this : go on the high way drive 140+ (you will notice air coming from the outside)
then push the button if the air stopped this mean it works :)

Supe

Supe
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
In my Calais the recycle works... but... I notice that whilst it does recycle the air, it still lets in an amount of outside air. So in this cold ****ty place I live, in winter when you're driving around and the air is full of chimney smoke, you can still smell it a bit in the cabin. I've also noticed if I drive past someone's house while they're mowing their lawn I can still smell that too even when recycle is on.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Never had a problem with my Re-Circulate function on either my VE Calais or VE Clubsport.

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
Have had no issues and I can tell and smell the difference. The pollution setting also works well ( hold recycle for 3 seconds i think) where the system automatically go to recycle at speeds below 20kmh, then back to outside as you exceed it, great for traffic lights when old smokin junks are in front of you.

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
I've had the same problem in my Senator. While the recirculate button does have some effect (reducing the pollution) it doesn't completely block the vent.

"No fault found" according to the dealer - but that's their response to everything.

I have also noticed since the dealer "upgraded my HVAC controller" that the fan speed is automatically adjusted when the recycle option is selected (normally when recycle is selected much more air volume is pushed through the vents).

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
try reading the owners manual to see when recirc works, there are some ADR requirements with when & how long it can stay on recirc.

i think it is explained in the book...

Kordorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Patrol GU II
Good idea Dr. Bob.
When in doubt refer the owner's manual.
I don't recall this problem in my time.
There was a recall to replace the HVAC module which Tommo82 reffered to.
One thing you can do is hold the recirc. button down for 6secs....
It should run a vent re-cal. cycle.
We used to perform this after replacing the module.
For the Dealer to tell you "it doesn't do anything", it's like taking your car to a hair dresser for repairs (blink-stares into space).
They would be just as useful....seek a decent mechanic or Dealer.

Supe

Supe
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
I might give that vent recalibration a go. Knowing how slack my local dealership is they probably didn't follow the instructions when they replaced my HVAC.

FPV 4 T

myspace.com/attakarrak
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
2008 VE HSV Clubsport R8.
Has anyone else with a SSV, Berlina or Calais with the climate control noticed that the recycle button doesn't seem to make any difference?

Can't comment on the Omega, SV6 or SS with the standard air... but suspect it would be the same.

I noticed some time ago then had a colleague with an SSV tell me he noticed the same thing, reckons he asked the dealer, and they said it doesn't do anything.... which seems strange...

..... ahhhh the old placebo recycle button trick hey???? You think it's recycling... so you don't think you can smell the garbage truck in front of you.... yep... that'd be it.

Sort of like Ford putting "Boss 290" stickers on their bonnet bulge... they think it's 290kw so they think it's fast!!! AHAHAHAHA:yeah::yeah::yeah:

On my Clubby I have noticed that I can't get the air recycle button to work when my vent settings are set to the windscreen or feet... It only works if you have the vents on normal vents... if I push the air recycle button while on windscreen or feet vents the icon will just flash up the top of my LCD screen and go away... but it deffinatly makes a difference when I use it on normal vents I can feel, hear and smell the difference haha