Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket timing chain or GM? Why?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
367FAA41-98D3-4E87-9F76-332CDC4A6459.jpeg

Last edited:

jezzau

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 not a 5 speed auto :(
At least it’s not a 5speed auto.

Heyo don't call me out like that, It is a 5 speed auto
Transmission isn't in the best shape as is, Hence what tells me it wasn't the best treated car so i wonder what the engine looks like underneath HAH

done 1000k's on it so far and only had 1 situation of where it didn't wanna shift for a little bit

100% i'll be chucking a new engine and tranny in it eventually i can for sure say that.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The 5speed transmissions are going to be expensive to have rebuilt and the first thing I would do (from experience of having our rebuilt twice now) is get an external cooler hooked up. A big one.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
325k, Chains previously done at about 205 "so i was told" Sealent doesn't look like its original one so i believed its had chains done 100% at some stage,
My SV6 (yes with the 5 speed auto) has done about 320k on the original chains and been fine. The 5 speed auto has lasted that distance as well but its definitely on its last legs now.

Ill be doing 50k on this car a year as i live wayyyy out of town from anywhere close to where i will be working so was just gunna buy a 2nd hand engine, Do the chains
If your going to buy a 2nd hand engine just do the full rebuild. If it’s already out of the car it’s better to replace the bearings and re-ring it while your there.

It sounds healthier than my mates 2010 LLT at 140k kms though ahahah,
I think direct injection engines seem to sound a bit more “gruff” than port injected engines for some reason. At least that’s my observation anyway.

jezzau

Reaction score
Members Ride
The 5speed transmissions are going to be expensive to have rebuilt and the first thing I would do (from experience of having our rebuilt twice now) is get an external cooler hooked up. A big one.

How much did it cost ya and when was the last time you did it? So i can get a rough idea on costs. Cheers. Any recommendations for a cooler? Transmission oil cooler yeah?

jezzau

Reaction score
Members Ride
If your going to buy a 2nd hand engine just do the full rebuild. If it’s already out of the car it’s better to replace the bearings and re-ring it while your there.

Rebuild Kit for Holden VZ VE 3.6L V6 SV6 Alloytec LE0 LY7 Commodore Omega | revhigh

Would you recommend getting this? Replacing thermostat, Redo rear main seals and call it a day?
Any other little bits and bobs i should replace while im there? Kit covers pretty much everything by looks of it. Don't think ill touch pistons
Never done something to this degree but willing to give it a go

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017? Or 18? and again in 2021 because it was such a great experience the first time.
$5k each time and also had to drop my pants and be sodomised.

Warranty? Pffft. Ain’t nobody build transmissions with warranties anymore. Well. I say that. It did have a solid 30minute warranty on the 5L which I thought was more than generous at the time of the sodomy.

jezzau

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017? Or 18? and again in 2021 because it was such a great experience the first time.
$5k each time and also had to drop my pants and be sodomised.

Warranty? Pffft. Ain’t nobody build transmissions with warranties anymore. Well. I say that. It did have a solid 30minute warranty on the 5L which I thought was more than generous at the time of the sodomy.

Ouch, wallet didn't like that i bet

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
my daughters 2009 ve has 280,000km , bought at 90,000km
v6, 5 speed auto
have changed trans fluid every 45,000km
tows a horse float regularly
running perfect

Reactions: Lex