Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket timing chain or GM? Why?

jezzau

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 not a 5 speed auto :(
So my ve sv6 has done a fair amount of k's so i'm getting another engine with low kms soon, Timing chains won't need to be done but might aswell do it and a few other things before i swap it over. Was wondering what timing chain kit you would recommend or are they all the same? Was thinking by now a company would of come up with a hardend chain by now or something to that degree to reduce chance of stretching in the future instead of the original GM ones, Have already drilled out the PCV in the current one and will be doing that to this new engine also, Any other slight modifications or recommendations to reduce stretch in the chain long term?

Any companies wanna sell me there pitch on why i should get there chains are welcome :)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Chain stretch is more to do with the engines oil change history. Yes there were a batch of bad chains but they only affected a small window of the production period. Tiny.

Reputable after market chains are worthwhile. So are GM ones.
Forum sponsors RevHigh and Mace both do some good kits.
Change the oil pump. Genuine is good or reputable brand where possible. Eg. Melling.

eplace the thermostat

Redo the rear mains

Make me a cup of tea. White, but just a dash of milk. Not too hot.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What do you call high ks? I would not bother doing a timing chain unless it was actually showing symptoms of failure..
Synthetic oil, regular servicing and nice long trips -not to many short shopping trips will keep everything running clean and achieve a long life.
If you are looking for good chains the genuine chains are supposed to be good/ maybe the best now.

jezzau

Reaction score
Members Ride
What do you call high ks? I would not bother doing a timing chain unless it was actually showing symptoms of failure..
Synthetic oil, regular servicing and nice long trips -not to many short shopping trips will keep everything running clean and achieve a long life.
If you are looking for good chains the genuine chains are supposed to be good/ maybe the best now.

325k, Chains previously done at about 205 "so i was told" Sealent doesn't look like its original one so i believed its had chains done 100% at some stage,

Ill be doing 50k on this car a year as i live wayyyy out of town from anywhere close to where i will be working so was just gunna buy a 2nd hand engine, Do the chains

Don't know the history of the car what so ever to be honest with you, As soon as i brought it i flushed oil put some decent oil and new oil filter in it, Change evap purge solenoid and radiator cap, About all ive done to it since getting it at 324, It sounds healthier than my mates 2010 LLT at 140k kms though ahahah,

Hence why i wanted a new engine and was gunna do some work to it so i know the history and ill do full services myself every 5-7.5 Will probably get a new transmission and do that every 15-20 aswell, More of just want a reliable car for years to come instead of worrying about it. Expecially when i gotta travel 40kms just to the closest fast food place LMFAO

Ill be doing all highway k's from now on in it. Very big fan of holdens so would want it lasting half my life, Considering im only 20 Eh long way eh?

Eventually i'll probably flog the ve off for a buick though something nostelgic about my parents owning them ;)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The VE’s raft of gremlin affected CANbus modules makes me nervous for long term reliability.

The VZ how ever.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Well those long trips will be great for it. My chains have done nearly 300km on the originals so they can last a long time. If you are going to go to all that trouble I'd suggest buying a new radiator and sitting that safely in the shed too. They are plastic and eventually explode from the constant heat, when the top hose neck snaps off. Then you lose all the coolant in a big mushroom cloud somewhere around 200 thousand. So you might be on the second rad already.

jezzau

Reaction score
Members Ride
The VE’s raft of gremlin affected CANbus modules makes me nervous for long term reliability.

The VZ how ever.

Why is that? Could you elaborate on this more? I know ve's like to throw alot of error codes out and are more sensitive than a baby but they have a place still right?

Vz doesn't tickle my pickle, Rather go buy a Vn at that point ahahaha

jezzau

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well those long trips will be great for it. My chains have done nearly 300km on the originals so they can last a long time. If you are going to go to all that trouble I'd suggest buying a new radiator and sitting that safely in the shed too. They are plastic and eventually explode from the constant heat, when the top hose neck snaps off. Then you lose all the coolant in a big mushroom cloud somewhere around 200 thousand. So you might be on the second rad already.

Wanna write up a parts list of what i should have laying around or what i should expect around this many ks? LMFAOO Don't mind replacing things once, If it becomes a reoccuring problem that's an issue

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina

The VZ how ever.
Don't say things like that, you make me nervous!! Have never had a module issue with mine in ten years, hardly had any issues at all with anything except coils and a radiator explosion . That was a fun night... ;)

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Wanna write up a parts list of what i should have laying around or what i should expect around this many ks? LMFAOO Don't mind replacing things once, If it becomes a reoccuring problem that's an issue
I think I got a good one, maybe because it was run in doing highway ks around 200km per day before I bought it. If I a living out bush LoL I would keep a couple of spare coils, a radiator and a water pump. That's about it. Yours being a 6 speed means you need to keep the trans well serviced as well because they do go bang sometimes. I like the nice and simple 4 speed donga that will do a million miles of you are nice to it.