Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aeroflow 304 gilmer warning

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman 304
Just a courtesy guys...I've had the aeroflow gilmer set-up for about 6 months, thought I'd treat myself with the black billet kit..... i have had nothing but dramas since. I had it installed by a mechanic that advised against it. First it blew my alternator, so like a sucker I brought an aeroflow one thinking brand on brand...alternator is still going but I've been through 4 belts in yeah 6 months at 50bucks a pop. Im googled the titts off it and everyone seems to have the same issues Apparently that's just what they do. Even aeroflow wouldn't respond to me. Alot of people want the fake supercharger whine... I just wanted more surface area traction instead of the pissy cm wide stock belts but now I'm swapping back to stock. Aeroflow seems to have died in the ass when it comes to quality as I also ran there hiflow fuel pump for 150km before it died and I had to get my stato towed home for $380, I know it's 100 percent pump failure as I only brought it to complete my tank and line rebuild. Once again aeroflow themselves where Mia.

Attachments

• All-my-babys-rip-Holden-Rodeo-lx-space-cab-Ls1-vx-ss-5ltr-statesman-series-2-Vs-a-pac-ute.jpg
    All-my-babys-rip-Holden-Rodeo-lx-space-cab-Ls1-vx-ss-5ltr-statesman-series-2-Vs-a-pac-ute.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 142

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the alternator if u use a toothed belt should use a overrun pulley so it dosnt stress the belt, other wise at 5000rpm ur alternator is doing 20,000+ rpm with alot of inertia which when ur revs drop it will prob jump teeth and or put alot of load on the belt and damage the belt, a normal v belt or PK belt just slips on the alternator pulley which takes out the load

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman 304
the alternator if u use a toothed belt should use a overrun pulley so it dosnt stress the belt, other wise at 5000rpm ur alternator is doing 20,000+ rpm with alot of inertia which when ur revs drop it will prob jump teeth and or put alot of load on the belt and damage the belt, a normal v belt or PK belt just slips on the alternator pulley which takes out the load
Cheers for the reply man and yeah there a toothed belt. I'll give it a crack. After I lost the first belt the mechanic paid for the second as he did some research and came to the conclusion that the belt is meant to be a lot looser. I've littteraly searched every forum and asked anyone I thought might know and I haven't heard that so i appreciate yeah time. I've done the diff ratio, cam, built box and rebuilt 304 and poly bags to stop the assembly dropping so I just thought the width of the gilmer would stop slippage when it gets dumped.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea with the gilmer toothed belts u get the engine to operating temp and then let it heat up a bit more so the belt and everything hot and then adjust the belt so its just tight with little flex, then once it is cold it will be looser but u have to account for the expansion of the engine block and everything so if its tight when cold it will be too tight when hot

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman 304
yea with the gilmer toothed belts u get the engine to operating temp and then let it heat up a bit more so the belt and everything hot and then adjust the belt so its just tight with little flex, then once it is cold it will be looser but u have to account for the expansion of the engine block and everything so if its tight when cold it will be too tight when hot
Yeah rodgey I basically looked at it like the belt on a concrete mixer ( or any other plant really) they sit fairly loose until there running. Call me a dumb **** bro but the over run pulley you first mentioned..is that a replacement pulley for the alternators stock one or...

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
honestly im not sure if they do an over run pulley to suit a gilmer belt, they are available for PK belts and come out on some LS think it's nuline is the brand of some

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman 304
honestly im not sure if they do an over run pulley to suit a gilmer belt, they are available for PK belts and come out on some LS think it's nuline is the brand of some
I might suss em out and maybe contract one to be fabbed up...hey if it works there's a market our there.. onya mate!

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
only time we have ripped a belt is when it wasnt lined up 100%. You might need to space out the power steering in order to have it line up neatly.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman 304
only time we have ripped a belt is when it wasnt lined up 100%. You might need to space out the power steering in order to have it line up neatly.
Hey mate cheers, yeah that was my first thought but she's straight as, that's half the reason I got the matching alternator too thinking they might play well. The belt doesn't rip it just shreds all the teeth of the belt. How long have yah had yours on? I wanna keep it on n there's gotta be something to it or they wouldn't cost $400+ ay

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Tried a name brand belt rather than a ebay cheapy? We used similar type belts at work with decent loads and they don't shear off the teeth.