Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adventra Gearbox Slip / Cross Trac Issue?

Mr LX8 Adventra

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II LX8 Adventra
G'Day All,

Recently bought a 2004 VYII LX8 Adventra. I drove it up 4 ramps today to do a full service. Have 1 or possibly two issues.

I normally drive my land rover up on four standard car ramps, in low range, no problem.

Today did the same thing with the Adventra, no low range, but has plenty of HP. While reversing up the ramps, the car wasn't moving, and I could hear what sounded like a rear wheel spin on the concrete, but no squeal. It was a shhhhhh sound. I had a spotter telling me when to stop on the ramps, and I asked which wheels was spinning... Anyway, no wheel spin. It seamed that something was slipping just happened to sound like a shhhh wheel spin on the garage floor concrete. Not sure if this is the trams slipping, something to do with the cross Trac or nothing to worry about. Does anyone have any insight?

The other issue I have, which may or may not be related, and when I test drive the car I simply thought it required a wheel alignment. But not the issue, I later realised the steering feedback was only felt under accerlation. When accerlerating their is feedback through the steering wheel, similar to the feeling when you need a wheel aligning, a slightly wobbly wheel. I pressure this is something to do with the cross track or front wheels/cv joints? Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, cannot find a workshop manual for the adventra, does one exist? If not I would be interested in taking lots of photos and marking drain/fill plus etc and details/specs for servicing. Any Adventra owners interested on working on a basic service manual for forum users? Or does something already exist? Is there a dedicated Adventra section on this site?

Cheers!

Mr LX8 Adventra

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II LX8 Adventra
While the car is on ramps... Does anyone know if the transmission service kit (filter/gasket) is the same as a standard VYII or if it is different. Hoping I can get one from super cheap tomorrow whilst it is still up on the ramps.

Pete6000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra SX6 2006
Hi Mr LX8 Adventra,

I have a 2006 SX6 Adventra which I am very pleased with. It has really become my car for all occasions and uses - work and play. Am also considering purchase of an LX8, using the SX6 then more as a work car.

It's now a while since your comments re "wheel spin" sound which I haven't come across yet; wheel alignment - slightly wobbly wheel sensation, that I have noticed in my car; and interest in availability of workshop/service manual for the Adventras, or knowledge about what other manuals (Commodore, Statesman etc) which may be useful/applicable for people maintaining their own Adventras.

Re the alignment issue, Ive had my SX6 for about 3 years. A few months ago, I did nudge a tree on the rear passenger side while reversing, and have since put on new Bridgestones - 225/55 17s. The car is now 7 years old but in generally very good condition. So I am planning on having an auto repair shop I know, and am confident of, check the car and adjust body alignment and then wheel alignment and repair some minor cosmetic issues. I have a feeling that the diagonal nudge may have affected the body alignment which, if so, I want to correct before adjusting the wheel alignment.

I would also, like you, be keen to know of any original or alternative workshop or service manuals, or specific parts of manuals, for example relating to gearbox, engine etc, that others have found or know to be suitable for use with the Adventras.

Probably, the pool of Adventra owners is relatively small when compared to other GM models, in particular, Commodores. Among those Adventra owners, I would imagine many would use GMH workshops for servicing and maintenance. But, like you, and I hope others, we may be able to establish an exchange of useful service/maintenance information in this forum for those of us who like to, or need to have a more personal hands on approach.

Suggestions about the above and other issues, including advice about the appropriate structure and location of this info within the "Just Commodores" forum would be very welcome.

Regards,
Pete
Country Western Australia

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
So Mr LX8, Did you find/fix the problem ? and a manual on these ?