Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Acrylic over enamel?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Hey, might sound dumb, but can I use an acrylic clear coat over an enamel color?

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
no the two paints react with each other and youll end up creating alot of work starting from scratch again believe me it a real pain

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Ok thanks for the quick reply. Just thought I could maybe do the job with stuff I've got lying around. Aaaah well.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
made that mistake before lucky i only did it with a bumper

Jonnii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z-Series Ute
I think you can go the other way around though enamel over acrylic. Enamel dosnt like other stuff on it but will happily go on others, just from my experience with scale model cars

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I think you can go the other way around though enamel over acrylic. Enamel dosnt like other stuff on it but will happily go on others, just from my experience with scale model cars

Good! Because that was my next question, it didn't turn out the way I'd hoped, using plastic paint and clear coat, although this recipe did work great when I customised my grille. I don't like the look on the interior plastic piece I've done. Think I'll sand it back and was going to now use Acrylic primer/surfacer with an enamel colour and clear coat over the top. Any one else?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
So, can anyone else verify if an enamel colour and clearcoat over an acrylic primer will work please?