Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS in a VN. Is it possible?

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Yes - but it's an epic job.

you would need all the wheel sensors off a live axle commodore with abs.

You will also need the ABS control module, and the ABS solenoid brake line pack, all the associated brake lines, etc.

it's a HELL of a lot of wiring to get it in there - and because it's a safety system, it's of critical importance that the wiring be done VERY properly and solidly, if you want it to actually work well.

some of the wiring includes;

wires to every wheel sensor
connection to speed sensor
lights on dash for ABS fault
diagnostic terminal
power and earth to the abs module
connections for brake pedal
separate fuse & relay
all the wiring for the solenoid controly module thinggie (whatever it's called)

I find that ABS is crap on anything other than a nice bitumen surface anyway :p

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yes it is. Find a VR or VS with live axle and use the rear parts off that, then you will need to find a VP Calais International, which I think is the first Commodore to offer ABS and use the front parts off that. The front won't fit from the VR-VS unless you do a front end conversion.

VN_chris

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore S
the breaks in my VN are pretty good in the dry but as soon as thers some water on the road they lock way to easy even at low speeds.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
revise your braking technique and/or change your tyres - abs will 'attempt' to correct the symptoms, but will not fix the cause.

the breaks in my VN are pretty good in the dry but as soon as thers some water on the road they lock way to easy even at low speeds.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
i sure dont want to be driving anywhere near a home installed abs system. get some better tyres

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies

yer, change/adjust your brake technique for the wet, and check your tyres. It shouldn't be an issue to stop at slow speed just cause it's wet.

And same-same as the other comments, it's a crud load of work, and i too would not wanna be anywhere near a home "bitsa" ABS setup.

VQ-Assault

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VQII Statesman
why bother with ABS, just spend the money on big brake upgrade or at least new pads, machined discs etc

VN_chris

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore S
im not gonna bother, big wiering jobs arnt wat im good at. Ill just leave a big gap between me and the car infront then i wont need ABS.