Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A/c Screeching/whining!

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Hey guys,

Sometimes while the A/C is on, and almost all the time I turn it off, it makes a whining/screeching sound. It's quite loud and quite annoying.

Just wondering if anyone's had the same problem and knows if its a crooked bearing, pressure relief problem or what?

Guy, maybe some of your wisdom might help here But any ideas would be appreciated!

G

grover

one of the anode transport vehicles i drive at work was doing the same thing paul.they ended up putting a new compressor on it.cash is no barrier to comalco though.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
question one...is the noise there at all when the A/c is ON....go and have a look at the compressor. What I mean is when the whole front of the compressor is spinning including the armature...the armature is the part right out the front and does not spin when the a/c is off and the engine is running.

Turn the a/c to fan no 1 and watch the front of the compressor. If the noise is only there when the a/c cycles out (the armature stops turning) then you have a noisey bearing in the pulley. It should stop when the compressor cycles back in because the internal bearings take the load off of the front bearing.

This bearing Can be done without pulling the compressor off or de-gassing the vehicle will do a post later to explain. In the mean time go and have a look and let me know if thats it.

If the noise is there only with the compressor on then its the compressor, just for reference. Also check that the adjusting idler pully (the one with the 18mm bolt) is OK as this can cause noises under load, its the one that usually bounces around at the top of the motor to the left of the alternator as you look at the engine.

Kind regards Guy.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
I was hoping I didnt have to fork out or a new condensor!

in answer to question one, it only makes the noise very occassionally when its on.
Its mainly when i turn it off, but not all the time.

Will check that tomorrow thanks heaps guys for the response.

B

blacki

Try getting some silicon spray and giving it a squirt on the flat side of the belt whilst the engine is running.
If that solves the problem you'll be up for a new belt soon.