Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'95 VS Ute No crank, no start.

Ra P. Scallion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 S Bucket Ute
Drove from Hawke's Bay to Whangerei and back no issues. Parked her up, but when I went to start it a few days later, nothing... I have ignition lights, I have fuel pump. Tested trans lock-out switch, it's working. Connected wire direct from battery to starter solenoid, it cranks, but no fire, with ignition on. Got 12V+ at the purple wire on ignition barrel in crank position. Swapped relays. Is it time to set fire to the old bitch? Or has someone got a better idea, it's really annoying the crap out of me now...

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Check to see if the security light is off when attempting to start it. Ensure the metal ring tabs are connecting with the key head around the ignition barrel.

Ra P. Scallion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 S Bucket Ute
Contact looks ok. Security light doesn't change, flashing about twice per second.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
That's your issue, the security light should turn off either unlocking unlocking car or when the ignition is turned on to reds..

Your security system is not disabling.

Ra P. Scallion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 S Bucket Ute
It's had the ignition and key changed at some point, has a different key for the doors and the buttons have never done anything. Central locking has never worked during my ownership, I've always done it manually. Question now is why has it suddenly decided to stop working and how do i fix it?
I'm convinced that vehicle security systems have given legitimate owners far more trouble than they've ever given the thieves...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the fob has never unlocked the doors it may not have remote central locking. Not all VS got central locking. Some still have a fob but all it does is turn on the interior lights and maybe turn off security.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
So it could be the battery is dead inside the remote which may explain the lack of central locking.

Regarding security, when inserting the key, check the dome silver contact on the key head is making good contact to the 2 half metal rings around the ignition barrel.

You can gently pry them outwards which can provide more spring force to the dome and better contact.

Then when turning to reds, the security light should go out allowing you to start it.

To test this this you can leave the ignition on reds for 45-90mins and then try to start it. It's a security time out with the key in and on.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's a Series I ute, highly likely it never got central locking. Most utes didn't get that feature. Definitely could be the battery in the key. If the battery is OK then see if the interior light turns on by pressing the button.