Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

470kW LS9 Commodore is happening.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Of course we bloody will. It may cost more but there's **** loads of oil in the world. Shale oil has yet to be tapped and it's more abundant than crude. It takes more refining hence will cost more but we aren't running out of fossil fuels any time soon.
"Running out" and "cost-effective availability" are two different things though.
There's a surprising (to me) interest in alternatives (in the context of this discussion an "alternative" is where you don't stick petrol in it) at the moment (the number of Teslas on the road for example - despite the price!).

Was there a mandated removal of leaded petrol from service stations? Or was that a response to fewer & fewer people buying it? And delivery of ULP uses the same hardware/infrastructure as delivery of Leaded, if 95% of people go to servos to buy high-speed electricity or hydrogen or something, then a Ye Olde Petrol Bowser is going to be taking-up a lot of wasted real-estate.

I agree, but there will be some silly dill who thinks it'll make more money after Holden ceases local production in several years time after buying it brand new.
Have a look on CarSales for FPV GT-351's (I think that's what they're called), the last of the GT's.
There are a couple of dealers who seem to think they'll get ~$120k for one!
On the flipside, if even one of those does sell for anything near that, then the LS9 GTS-based HSV would actually be worth more than list-price within a year.

R

Risky

Have a look on CarSales for FPV GT-351's (I think that's what they're called), the last of the GT's.
There are a couple of dealers who seem to think they'll get ~$120k for one!
On the flipside, if even one of those does sell for anything near that, then the LS9 GTS-based HSV would actually be worth more than list-price within a year.

Lol yeah I did. Not worth the price & I'd never own a Ford ever again nor drive one. Sure prices might stabilize for a year or so but depreciation will kill it. Then in 50 years it'll be worth something if there's any still around.

In regards with alternative fuel sources, Hydrogen is the way to go but the oil magnates wont want that. Electric cars need long charge times & have a limited range. Not a good idea in a country like ours. Even Nissan took the Leaf off the market quietly.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Of course we bloody will. It may cost more but there's **** loads of oil in the world. Shale oil has yet to be tapped and it's more abundant than crude. It takes more refining hence will cost more but we aren't running out of fossil fuels any time soon.

Just because there is stuff in the ground doesn't mean that it will make it to the bowser.....and even if it does, it still doesn't mean it will be affordable.

Look at what technology was like in 1966 compared to today and then consider what technology might look like in 2066 given the pace of acceleration we see today....that's right, we have no idea at all.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
In regards with alternative fuel sources, Hydrogen is the way to go but the oil magnates wont want that. Electric cars need long charge times & have a limited range. Not a good idea in a country like ours. Even Nissan took the Leaf off the market quietly.
Purely by chance, in the last 5 minutes I've seen this:

"All new cars in Germany to be electric by 2030" ie: emissions free

So I guess, don't forget the power of government legislation!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
"emissions free" is a fun title where do there think the electricity comes from?
It's Germany, so I don't know ... probably nuclear & wind with a bit of solar & tidal by 2030?
They're not as far behind as we are.
A quick Google shows 40% was nuclear & renewable, in 2010 ... but I wonder how much of "renewable" was ethanol?

Actually, even if they were as dirty in producing their electricity as we are, surely it's still a Valid Thing; it's got to be easier to switch the grid over to something like hydrogen-turbine or solar + wind or even nuclear, than to switch every single car?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Lol yeah I did. Not worth the price & I'd never own a Ford ever again nor drive one. Sure prices might stabilize for a year or so but depreciation will kill it. Then in 50 years it'll be worth something if there's any still around.

Unless you daily it into the ground the LS9 HSV will depreciate a minimal amount to year 6 or 7 and then start an up trend again. There are **many** other investments which will bring far greater returns for sure however applying the 60%/2 years (or whatever) for this car is way off the mark.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unless you daily it into the ground the LS9 HSV will depreciate a minimal amount to year 6 or 7 and then start an up trend again. There are **many** other investments which will bring far greater returns for sure however applying the 60%/2 years (or whatever) for this car is way off the mark.
I need to convince my better-half to get one ... we've had the Commode a year now & it's just ticked over 8k km, with the first carpark-damage only appearing last week (sometimes you wish you could see who it was that slammed their door into your car, so you could repeatedly slam their head in their own car's door until their head was just a bloody dripping nub).

R

Risky

I agree that the LS9 HSV will be a great car & a great send send off to Holden's local manufacturing. I can't see many of these being driven on a daily basis. How many W427's have you seen on the road? It's back to the supply from the manufacturer & the demand in a number of years time for the vehicle itself. Cars make horrible investments. Lol in saying that, I have noticed that Redbook have upgraded the value of the VU-VZ utes by a couple of grand. I've been wondering why dealers are asking silly money for them recently.

I need to convince my better-half to get one ... we've had the Commode a year now & it's just ticked over 8k km, with the first carpark-damage only appearing last week (sometimes you wish you could see who it was that slammed their door into your car, so you could repeatedly slam their head in their own car's door until their head was just a bloody dripping nub).

I just park far away from everyone else when I'm out shopping. Sometimes you just get that one idiot that opens his door & scratches you car & is still parked there when you're back. Last time that happened to my Grand Vitara the other persons car (who happened to have my paint on his door) had an "accident" with my spanner a few times on his body work. He shouldn't have parked so close when I was re-arranging my toolbox when I got back from shopping.