Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4 bolt tailshaft conversation

Ss mick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Hi. I have a VX SS 6spd manual that has snapped 2 tailshafts in the last few years. It's pretty much stock with a heavy duty clutch.

Now my question is ..
Will a 4 bolt VT v6 auto tailshaft and diff pinion flange fit on my vx SS so I can do a 4 bolt tailshaft conversation and get rid of that dreaded 3 bolt rubber doughnut set up they have?

Ss mick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Hi. I have a VX SS 6spd manual that has snapped 2 tailshafts in the last few years. It's pretty much stock with a heavy duty clutch.

Now my question is ..
Will a 4 bolt VT v6 auto tailshaft and diff pinion flange fit on my vx SS so I can do a 4 bolt tailshaft conversation and get rid of that dreaded 3 bolt rubber doughnut set up they have?
Oh both are sedans btw

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes you can. All you need to do is cut off the end of the pinion that supports the rubber doughnut. Remove the pinion nut, remove the 3 bolt flange, put in a 4 bolt flange and re-fit the pinion nut. then modify the drive shaft to suit.

Ss mick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Yes you can. All you need to do is cut off the end of the pinion that supports the rubber doughnut. Remove the pinion nut, remove the 3 bolt flange, put in a 4 bolt flange and re-fit the pinion nut. then modify the drive shaft to suit.

Ss mick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
What will need to be modified on the 4 bolt tailshaft? Will it need shortened or anything? I was hoping once the 4 bolt pinion flange gets changed on my diff the 4 bolt tailshaft should hopefully just bolt straight up correct?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not sure about the drive shaft as I've never done that.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Now my question is ..
Are you snapping the coupling or the shearing the bolts? There is an alloy coupling available for the VE and I think there is also one available for earlier models.

Ss mick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Are you snapping the coupling or the shearing the bolts? There is an alloy coupling available for the VE and I think there is also one available for earlier models.
Nah the actual tailshaft. First one snapped just behind the centre bearing and the 2nd one snapped at the diff. The first one twisted and snapped it just tore like a tin can. I have attached a pic of the first one that snapped

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1592200605207.jpg
    FB_IMG_1592200605207.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 111

Ss mick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Nah the actual tailshaft. First one snapped just behind the centre bearing and the 2nd one snapped at the diff. The first one twisted and snapped it just tore like a tin can. I have attached a pic of the first one that snapped
I'm pretty sure one the doughnuts let go first in this case

Ss mick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
I'm pretty sure one the doughnuts let go first in this case
Yeah I think so too in this case anyway second time doughnuts were fine. But I've had nothing but trouble with the 3 bolt tailshaft and they aren't cheap to replace at $300+ just for a used one. So I want to go with the 4 bolt conversion if I can and get rid of the doughnut set up completely . I also have a little one on the way in September and this is my daily so once it's fixed and sorted no more clutch dumps as hard as it is not too haha