Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 timing issues always 180 out

h8dvk8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk 304 vs 6 bangger on gas vs stato
Hay guys I'm building a vk with a 304 an having major issues!!!!
I had a Junk pro comp dizzy in an now replaced it with a genuine bocsh item now it was running with the junk pro comp dizzy an now that I put the bocsh dizzy in it always spins 180 out!! I've replaced Leeds plugs dizzy coil everything an I just can't get my head around it...
If anyone as any pointers around the problem would b much appreciated

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Not quite sure what you mean by "spins 180 out"?

Are you having trouble locating the rotor in the same spot as the old one?

Have you cranked the motor since you put it in?

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
The dizzy is held down by a bolt, make sure the dizzy can't move. I would also make sure that your balancer hasn't spun too, make sure it is at TDC.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
this may help
dist.JPG
156837d1360301558-304-timing-issues-always-180-out-dist.jpg

h8dvk8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk 304 vs 6 bangger on gas vs stato
Yea the dizzy is tight an I always make sure the crank is at taken it out re done it over and over it can't get it rite

jcvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh Sle 4.2, ve SSZ z wagon
as you look at the motor no1 cylinder is front left, this must be at TDC. with the dizzy removed, line the rotor button up to just of centre to the right of the engine bay. the vac advance should be roughly in line with the auto filler tube. as you drop the dizzy in the rotor will rotate clock wise towards the passenger side of the car. when settled in place the rotor button will line up sightly to the left or in line with the the aircon hose clamp on the fire wall. this will be no.1. make sure your leads are in order. i have seen a mate try for 5 hours to start a car after resetting the dizzy only to find the leads where 1 spot out.
good luck.

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Is the harmonic balancer notch lining up on #1 when U drop the dizzy in?
When U drop the dizzy in don't have the timing marks on the rotor/dizzy line up,you have to go a tooth either way.
I'm not sure which way,but yeah I have encountered this myself......After a lot of back firing I managed to find the combination.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Make sure that number one piston is on its compression stroke when you drop the dizzy in as the piston and timing marks come around twice, once on the compression stroke and again on the exhaust stroke. You may have the piston at TDC and the timing marks aligned but it may be on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke.

DrownInMilo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr statesman
as you look at the motor no1 cylinder is front left, this must be at TDC. with the dizzy removed, line the rotor button up to just of centre to the right of the engine bay. the vac advance should be roughly in line with the auto filler tube. as you drop the dizzy in the rotor will rotate clock wise towards the passenger side of the car. when settled in place the rotor button will line up sightly to the left or in line with the the aircon hose clamp on the fire wall. this will be no.1. make sure your leads are in order. i have seen a mate try for 5 hours to start a car after resetting the dizzy only to find the leads where 1 spot out.
good luck.
I found when my leads were one spot out (needed to be one spot clockwise each) it still ran just ran like **** and I had piss all power to the point I couldn’t use 5th