Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 budget rebuild - guaranteed to make you cringe

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If you look at their site you will see that they only mention the blue top injectors for any of their fuel injection motors up to 383.

I just had a quick look on the COME website where they have engine dyno sheets for 383 engines which conveniently have nothing in the AFR and BSFC columns.....

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Found this,
https://www.comeracing.com/faq-page#n321

As discussed earlier this month i would like to get an order/invoice on the following components.
The Engine is from a VN Commodore (5.0L ) and is going back in same car with T5 Manual and RPM only to 6000 Max.

• Holden 383 Stroker Kit
  • Holden 590 series heads and EFI Intake Kit
  • Holden Stroker CAM and Memcal kit (360kw Solid CAM and Lifters) i will change my injectors back to the Bosch Blue top 24lb injectors. As per the phone call my current Memcal is a ChipTorque chip which is no use but would be no extra if purchased with the above components

Now 360kw/480 hp with their tune. With 24lbs injectors it may be possible if you run injectors to max duty cycle and run it lean as **** up top. I think COME also came down fairly hard over on PCM hacking when people were discussing their tunes, basically they don't want anybody copying or disseminating info about their tunes so it seems they have a secret they want to keep...

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Found this,
https://www.comeracing.com/faq-page#n321

As discussed earlier this month i would like to get an order/invoice on the following components.
The Engine is from a VN Commodore (5.0L ) and is going back in same car with T5 Manual and RPM only to 6000 Max.

• Holden 383 Stroker Kit
  • Holden 590 series heads and EFI Intake Kit
  • Holden Stroker CAM and Memcal kit (360kw Solid CAM and Lifters) i will change my injectors back to the Bosch Blue top 24lb injectors. As per the phone call my current Memcal is a ChipTorque chip which is no use but would be no extra if purchased with the above components

Now 360kw/480 hp with their tune. With 24lbs injectors it may be possible if you run injectors to max duty cycle and run it lean as **** up top. I think COME also came down fairly hard over on PCM hacking when people were discussing their tunes, basically they don't want anybody copying or disseminating info about their tunes so it seems they have a secret they want to keep...
Maybe they batch fire all injectors and fill the manifold full of fuel :D

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I can't think why Come racing would be using 24lb injectors if they thought that they were not appropriate. What's in for them? Surely they have
enough runs on the board to recommend there use . What advantage could it be for them to use the wrong size injector?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I honestly dont care, I wouldn't use that manifold and wouldn't buy there cam/tune package either. It just seems a sus to me.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Finally revisiting this thread, I’m putting an engine together for another project car.

I still have the roller block, but have another engine for this particular project. This one died of oil starvation due to a blocked pickup and the mains were down to the copper. The crank was fairly scored, but I have another good crank to go in.

This one will be fairly standard, I may use the VT heads for some more compression along with that old wade cam (similar to 286). Idea is a budget cruiser with a bit of character.

At this stage I’m ready to fit the rear main and the crank. I’ve decided to go with the Buick rubber seal conversion this time.

6QrmScM.jpg

ke9Gp6H.jpg

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Wait so which car is this new donk for haha?

Reactions: Lex

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I was wondering the same question?
The raven mica s3 statesman sitting at my parents place without an engine haha. Seems a shame not to put it back together since I have all the parts and it’s a factory v8. Does need some paint work though.

I had to isolate a few weeks back, so was a good opportunity to pull this 304 apart and start the process.

Last edited: