Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] 3.8 swap to a 5.7

Vy3.8exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 Executive
Heya! I’m new to the whole idea of car modding, in the near future I’m planning on swapping my 3.8L with a 5.7L, I’m not at all worried about price as it’ll be a work in progress, but I’m just wanting help with the list of things that would need to be swapped out or replaced.

I’m assuming gearbox, ecu, wiring looms etc etc, but what else would need to be done aswell, thanks!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
A written off LS powered VY SS or Calais or Statesman

With or without an engine, needs wiring harness and interior harness.

Strip yours. Swap everything over.
Have a heap of spares on hand.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Forget about it, a 16 year old kid swap everything over? Im yet to see a set of mechanics get it right the first time, Finding good parts in the first place and the budget is why that happens.
You'll get bleed dry on the essentical parts you need then If you want to sell it,it will be worth bugger all as its not a factory v8. Find a good v8 and put the good parts off yours on to it.

Vy3.8exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 Executive
Forget about it, a 16 year old kid swap everything over? Im yet to see a set of mechanics get it right the first time, Finding good parts in the first place and the budget is why that happens.
You'll get bleed dry on the essentical parts you need then If you want to sell it,it will be worth bugger all as its not a factory v8. Find a good v8 and put the good parts off yours on to it.
I’m not worried about making money back, I’m fully aware it’ll be worth bugger all, also didn’t realise this showed my age haha, money isn’t a worry; I’m working full time and would be able to get a factory SS in 2 months, I’m not wanting that tho, I want to learn and overcome challenges, built not bought ya know.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’m not worried about making money back, I’m fully aware it’ll be worth bugger all, also didn’t realise this showed my age haha, money isn’t a worry; I’m working full time and would be able to get a factory SS in 2 months, I’m not wanting that tho, I want to learn and overcome challenges, built not bought ya know.
Buy a factory SS. You will learn more maintaining it.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Buy a donor car..simplest would be starting with vt to vy then can use parts from your vs & donor car to make it all work with right research & parts.

Ofcourse will need aftermarket engine mounts,extractors & trans member to get it in.

Wont be cheap once bought donor car & conversion parts but after that can buy stuff as required.

As above easiest way would be factory ls car already registered/driving to thrash & destroy lol

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Budget $20k-$30k