Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

100,000km

Wayno73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS
For the record, nothing wrong with a dual cab. Gotta get 'em dirty like I do!!

@Geoff6666 , given age and k's, maybe look at some new shocks. I'm currently looking at Pedders... due to mates rates...

Attachments

• Lux1.jpg
    Lux1.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 80

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
it's a lot easier to buy something you think projects the image you want others to have of you

i think that hits the nail on the head.
the look is more important than its function to many and old mate has one so i want one too and they have to bolt every "kings" accessory to it.:p

i have to admit i did buy a dual cab once(2014 colorado) but i quickly sold it because a 1400 tray i found to be utterly useless for most of the work i was doing at the time.
they are fine for that city work doing the big transporting jobs of 4 people to the local coffee house but when you want to use it as a "utility vehicle" i found it just wasnt up for the task.

you can see this shortfall in utility in action down at your local bunnings with the boys trying to workout how to strap down the newly purchased jousting sticks that either end up acting as a reverse joust for the vehicle behind or playing jousting matches with the birds or end up as fandangle over mirror side joust which effectively turns it in to a 2 door ute.

i honestly find my colorado7 more capable to carry sh!t than that ute i had and i have put a lot of building crap in the c7 over the last 7 years.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
,, maybe look at some new shocks. I'm currently looking at Pedders... due to mates rates...

I made the mistake years ago about getting shocks through pedders, due to trade price......I did a single trip from S.A to QLD and back and gave them back to them....They made the car feel like it had seized shocks...They were that shite

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Not wanting to pile in on the SUV/Crew cab pile on, but ill indulge myself :) Absolute true story

Leaving an extended family get together on Sunday night. One of them own a brand new Mercedes GLE something or other, you know, one of those hilariously over the top SUV's that completely style over substance. Near $200K I hear murmurings about.

Driving out the carpark, I hear a bang, as I watch them clip the curb and drive off, not realising they have punctured the front tire. Find them a short distance up the road. Hazards on, all of them outside the car looking for the spare wheel.

There is no spare wheel.

Just a goo canister. Oh, and 5 Mercedes branded high vis jackets, neatly wrapped. I guess so you can look even more a fool for what happens next

I go to inspect the tire for them (They are not the sort of people that are in anyway mechanically inclined) Id be lying if I said a tiny tiny smirk did not occur to myself

Side wall puncture

Goo canister completely useless.
(And the Pirelli P-Zero tires are about $1400 a pop)

On the phone to RAA they go, only got towing for 20km, they were 50km away from home. Onto the phone to Mercedes support. Bloke on the phone first thinks they have a different type of car, next he said try the goo canister. No go. Another family member rocks up with a tire repair kit. I tell them tire plugs are completely useless here, still they insist on trying it to at least limp it home. Plug heaps of them in, go to use the goo canister. The next 30minutes involved them trying to find the bonnet release and 12v socket, all while the useless Mercedes guy try to offer none existent support over the phone. You cannot wipe the grin off my face by this stage.

Another 30min later, they've managed to get the goo in and tire holding air. I said ill stay behind them because its not going to work. Off we go. 10min later, warning on the dash again saying tire fault as the plugs and goo have spewed from the side wall. Now its wait for tow truck. I then give them a lift home in the trusty VF SV6, fully inflated full size spare in the back, bonnet release at my right shin and two 12V sockets at the ready.

On the way home, comments ranged from "Geez nice and comfortable in here, smooth drive as well, I thought these were way more cramped?" too "Mercedes can stick their fancy POS up their backside"

Dont worry though, we didnt unwrap the Mercedes High vis jackets

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Holden foisted space-savers on some VF owners didn't they? With the wheel painted Walk Of Shame Yellow?

I bought a 1980 Volvo that was 20 years old but drove like a 10yo car, so my impressed mate bought one the same; except his was the year prior, which was before they "cheapened out" and fitted the bulging under-rear-guard panels from the sedan that mine had. His was rarer than mine ... however, these bulges allowed room for the full-sized alloy which mine had, but his had the original space-saver which needed to be inflated to use.
I can't imagine how dodgy it is to inflate a tyre that's sat there for 20 years in "folded" form, and then drive on it!!

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Holden foisted space-savers on some VF owners didn't they? With the wheel painted Walk Of Shame Yellow?

I bought a 1980 Volvo that was 20 years old but drove like a 10yo car, so my impressed mate bought one the same; except his was the year prior, which was before they "cheapened out" and fitted the bulging under-rear-guard panels from the sedan that mine had. His was rarer than mine ... however, these bulges allowed room for the full-sized alloy which mine had, but his had the original space-saver which needed to be inflated to use.
I can't imagine how dodgy it is to inflate a tyre that's sat there for 20 years in "folded" form, and then drive on it!!
My 2nd hand calais v had a space saver. Bought a second hand rim and replaced it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Around the VT era, Holden put in a spare painted yellow, to help shame out owners....

I'd see them drive in and knew straight away, they got a flat.....It was then a case of was it a puncture or a new tyre because it had been run flat....

Don't quote me that is was definately VT, but it was around that era Holden did that

I reckon there was a Nissan around the 80's/90's that also had that folded spare too...Stupid idea that was

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
My 2nd hand calais v had a space saver. Bought a second hand rim and replaced it.
I specified the dealer installed a new full sized alloy spare wheel with new tyre in the spare well before pick up of my first VF. I was proud of myself noticing that, but I suspect they just grabbed it off another car in their yard.
I forgot about the jack/tool set and special plastic clippy thing to hold the crap in place though, so had to pay for that myself. D'oh.
I got it all sorted in my next car I bought.

Wayno73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS
I made the mistake years ago about getting shocks through pedders, due to trade price......I did a single trip from S.A to QLD and back and gave them back to them....They made the car feel like it had seized shocks...They were that shite
Hey VC,

I hear ya, heard of a few negative reports myself. I've had a good run with my local Pedders. Maybe it helps I know the people in the workshop. I can stand and watch what's happening.

I'm trying to keep the VE as OEM as possible, might even end up using genuine Holden (Monroe?) shocks.

Cheers.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hey VC,

I hear ya, heard of a few negative reports myself. I've had a good run with my local Pedders. Maybe it helps I know the people in the workshop. I can stand and watch what's happening.

I'm trying to keep the VE as OEM as possible, might even end up using genuine Holden (Monroe?) shocks.

Cheers.

I used to buy parts through that particular pedders, along with do wheel alignments for them when their machine stuffed up....So I think I knew them especially when dealing with them for 5 years or so at the time...