Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring Diagram

DON H

Reaction score
I hope you can help me.

I have connected a 20 amp wire to my 7 pin caravan socket ( to charge the van battery while towing) and have run the wire through a 20 amp resetting circuit breaker and a 30 amp relay. I wish to trigger the relay from an accessory which is disconnected when the starter in operated, so as to stop any risk of high amperage draw from the caravan battery at that time.

My problem is I can't get a wiring diagram for my VY Commodore Exe. Holden can't help me with a Workshop Manual, which they say the CD will cost about $350 when available.

Don Hardie

DON H

Reaction score
I still havent got a wiring diagram, but Rippa's post on Mobile Phone Wiring solved this problem.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
You could find an accessory feed and also the start wire at the starter motor.

Wire in a standard relay as per norm (30 battery, 87 to power feed wire, 85 from accessories) but wire 86 to pin 30 of a change over relay. Now wire in 87a to earth (I think its 87a, should be the one that allows a feed without the relay operated, should be 87a), Now wire 86 to earth on the change over relay and get a feed from the start wire at the starter motor (or starter relay) to go to 85.

What this will do is cut the earth to the coil on the standard relay as soon as the car is cranking over thus cutting the power feed. Good if you can not find an accessory wire that cuts out on start up.

Hope this helps, kind regards Guy.

p.s. The numbers are on the base of the relay. If you are using a one way coil wire you may have to swap 85 and 86 to suit.

DON H

Reaction score
Thanks Guy,

I will add the extra relay as suggested.

Don

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Glad it helps, just don't forget to wire in a fuse and I would also recommend that you upgrade the earth wire at the trailer plug and caravan to cope with the extra load.

And yes I know that the towball is meant to provide some form of an earth but in a lot of cases it does a poor job of doing so!!

DON H

Reaction score
I have a 20 amp resetting circuit breaker and will fit a seperate socket on the car wired with 20 amp wire for both positive and negative in parallel to the trailer plug connections and a plug with the same wireing to the battery on the van.

Thanks again
Don