Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where to buy a TECH2 that won't break the bank?

Davemac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV Redline & 2009 SS Sportswagon
I've done some searching and found a few online, mainly from China. I'd like to be sure that whatever I buy is 100% TECH2 compatible if it's a clone.

Shipping costs seem high from China as well as long shipping times, so I'd like to find a seller in country if possible, although odbii.shop seems to have some good prices but their website didn't fare well on Trend Micro.

Anyone bought a clone and had good luck with it? I am needing to do some work on the AC on my VE and it would be handy for other tasks in the future as I have 2 VE V8's.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The clones will be fine but have limitations when it comes to the really unusual features of the Tech2.

Topdon do a good one.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The clones will be fine but have limitations when it comes to the really unusual features of the Tech2.

Topdon do a good one.
Tech 2's and clones are similar.
Biggest difference is in the PCMCIA software card.

Davemac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV Redline & 2009 SS Sportswagon
Hi, did you buy it? I just want your opinion.
Sorry for the delay. I bought the Tech2 from eBay, link below and it just arrived today.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2661509...zjKIAF1gljR/KKpEVCAN0Aw+5/nm|tkp:BFBMxvz3weBh

You can tell it's a clone as the build quality is not as good as the original but for the price it is a bargain.

I hooked up the OBD2 port on my SS and ran the DTC code scan and it found 3 fault codes for the HVAC and 1 for the console controls. My old OBD2 via the phone didn't do this. So far so good.

I then ran some quick data checks and it works really well. I still need to work out how to change the HVAC control module and what function I need to do that but for someone with a Holden Commodore, I'd say this was a great tool at a great price.

I'll have more time to play at the weekend.