Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

When do you use primer

lemusa

Unmotivated Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey im thinking of teaming up with my mate and his old man (whos painted before) and doing the vn.

Just after some advice on primer, I dont know if il be using acrylic or 2pac yet, we will be painting in a garage so acrylic is easier?. Anyway car is looking like this...

DSC00201.jpg

Im going to paint it a blue, possibly impulse blue (VZ era?)

The plan is to sand back until all clearcoat is gone and its smooth etc etc, car looks straight to me, couple of stone chips but no cracking or anything. Is primer necessary? The way I look at it, it will still have plenty of paint on it after sanding so shouldnt be an issue? Or will it effect the final colour of the blue? ie shitty red colour coming through?

Any help much appreciated!

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Prime the whole car for sure. Take the roof, boot & bonnet right back to bare metal, rub the rest of the car back with 240 dry, feather out any chips with an orbital sander. Then prime the whole car with 2 pac primer/filler (Hi-fill) regardless of whether you are using acrylic or 2K top coat, put on 3 good coats then rub it all back with 600-800 wet (knock the top off with 240 dry on a decent sanding block to make the job quicker). Then paint....

Make sure you guide coat it before you rub the hi-fill back with the 240, then guide coat it again before wet sanding with 600-800.

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
if youre going to use 2k primer in your shed give it a few days to really dry and shrink over any repairs you might do.
and if youre going to bare metal the top panels make sure you dont forget to use an etch primer before any hi fill goes on.
block with 240 dry liek blown said and block it again with 800 wet after light guide coat.
careful with how you block the car though, an inexperienced person can put more ripples into a panel than what there might have been originally.