Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Welding Spider Gears - Why You Shouldn't Do It And How To Go Ahead And Do It Anyway

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Occasionally this question gets asked, This video from UTG covers the topic very well and why you shouldn't on any car that is daily driven on the street. Even after all this I still wouldn't recommend welding the spider gears, spend $90, get yourself a mini-spool and fit it instead. But here it is.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I give the welding-the-centre idea a yeah-nah.

However, I was pretty impressed that the cheap welder could do the heavy welds one after another. These cheap welders usually have a pretty limited duty-cycle and will often overheat and shutdown when doing long continuous welds. His welder didn’t seem to shutdown.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was speaking to a garage a couple of weeks ago. He welded a customers ZF to get him by, as he kept breaking them. Bloke apparently had twin turbo LS, making over 1000hp. The customer ended up fitting one of those extra strong Trutrac. Can't think of the name but it's the way stronger one than a Harrop.

• Haha
Reactions: Lex