Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Engine Pinging

CSD

Reaction score
G'day guys

I have a vr commodore and it is pinging.
It doesn't seem to do it when i run it on premium but shouldn't it be able to run on standard unleaded?
I got a new memcal because my mechanic thought it was it but it didn't fix the problem.
The is no fault registered with the computer and i have checked the knock sensor out and it is o.k.
Any advice would be great thanks

CSD

J

Jaws

Before you get into the more compliacted parts of the motor, How often do u change the plugs?.
What condition are the plugs in when they are removed from the engine.
The spark plugs can tell u what's going on inside.

it should be able to run on regular unleaded but if the engine has high k's it could be a problem that will hit you hard in the pocket.

J

Jaime S.

All engines in the VR Commodore were designed for use STRICTLY on 91 Octane Regular Unleaded Petrol.
Other Fuels could damage the system.

Also, don't use Woolworths Plus Petrol, it's dirty.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Speaking of petrol, i have noticed a lot of the 'third party' servos have been shutting down lately.

guess they can't compete with the petrolplus & shell 4c off ****.

shame to see a business close down, but i never trust the petrol at those places anyway.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
right, here you go, this will give you about 4 things that could be wrong

1. incorrect ignition timing, (if it's a v8 only)
2. incorrect grade of fuel
3. incorrect spark plugs (or plug gap)
4. fuel injection or engine control system malfunction.

vr fuel rating, min 91%octain rating

more than likely gonna be fuel or engine control system problem

hope that helps

CSD

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys I will let you know how I go.

J

Jaws

QUOTE All engines in the Vr commodores desined to strctly use 91
That's the minimum ROn rated fuel recommended, using premium will reduce pinging depending on the condition of the motor.

QUOTE Dont use woolworths petrol plus, it's dirty
Are you aware that woolworths has been using Clatex fuel since june?, woolworths only uses caltex fuel as Woolworths petrol plus has merged with caltex.

Dont know how it could be dirty, they meet the filtering requirements as the large companies do.
80 micron filters are useD at filling points at the refinery,tanker and at the bowser.

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
going back a few years ago i had an MGB, it started pinging over a period of 6 months it got worse so i pulled the head off after some advice from an old pommie mechanic and sure enough carbon had built up in the combustion chamber to such a degree,this raises the compression ratio and so the fuel needed to be a higher octane to run without pinging,i gave the head a clean up and put it back together,it ran perfect,the carbon build up can be caused through worn oil rings letting a slight amount of oil into the head it then carbonises itself on your head,or even spark plugs in the too cold range ,just another couple of ideas for you,also try a compression test,if the compression is higher than normal then thats a fair bet that is what the problem is
cheers fergi