Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 6 heater core flush

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Commodore Acclaim
Hi Everyone. I've been looking through as many of the posts I can on how to flush a heater core. The only thing is that I'm still a bit confused and need to ask a few silly questions (it gets pretty cold in winter where I live).

Firstly, I originally thought that the pipe that goes into the firewall at the top at the left hand side was the input for the heater core as it has some black foam lagging on it, but apparently it's not? If this is not a heater hose, then...?

Secondly I now gather that the input and output hoses to the heater core are side by side or one under the other on the drivers side partway down the firewall in a slightly awkward place and seem to have other smaller hoses connected to them to make things more complicated?

If this is the case, I need to pull these off to attach some tubing in order to do the flush, and could someone kindly tell me please which is the input hose and which is the output hose as I understand it needs to be reverse flushed?

Many thanks.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Over next to the brake booster. Just two rubber hoses. You can disconnect from the firewall or from the heater tap.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore

same...ish for VR 2nd post 2nd picture fig C

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
running a garden hose thru the heater core wont unblock it, if its full of crap and not making any heat putting a graden hose thru it wont unblock it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If the heater core is blocked and flushing doesn’t work, it’s dash and hvac out. Huge job.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Reverse flushing the heater core with the garden hose can work, I've done it a time or 2.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It will come down to how blocked it is. A reverse hose flush can work sometimes. However if the heater core has been blocked a long time or if it's dry blocked, the hose probably won't work. But given its cheap to do its worth seeing if it helps. What can happen is the flow of pressure tends to take the path of least resistance depending on the blockage. Make sure you use a good chemical flush first.